Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Riders with Burton Interface experience...Help please.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:38 pm 

For those of you with burton interface experience, can you help me with some possible ways of resolving some slop in the interface base plates. When I mount the binding disc to the disc that sits inside the crescent peices there is solid connection but the baseplate itself between these two discs has some slop, just a couple of degrees of wiggle. This is not loose bindings at all, the two discs are locked together. The central portion of the interface baseplate shifts laterally between the outside portions just a millimeter or two in each direction.

Can you adjust this out of the interface plate? Can it be eliminated by shimming, baseplate under pads?

I know, switch it to voile and blah blah blah...I don't want to redrill holes so I want to see how long I can get this board, which I just purchased used, to survive.

Thanks for your input in advance.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:20 pm 

Yep, in my experience that slop always happens eventually in the Burton system. There is a Phillips screw that goes horizontally through the bottom part of the interface and connects the two halves, and you can adjust that to control the clamping tension. You may be able to eliminate the slop by tightening that screw. I think you have to lower the heel lift to get to it. Eventually though, the slop will come back, and at some point you won't be able to tighten that screw anymore.

I haven't found any other way to get rid of it, but I'm sure there must be a way. On my interface the little disk of grip tape in the center has worn way down, and I wonder if that might have anything to do with it. It's actually the interface itself moving below the binding. For now I've just accepted the little bit of play. That twisting play is much less annoying than the lateral slop that I got when trying out the Voile hardware on the Burton board. The bindings on the Voile plate are higher off the board, and the plate is narrower than the bindings, and this seemed to allow for more lateral slop than with the wider, lower Burton interface:

Of course, Will's bindings will fix this! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm 

jimw, I did tighten those phillips screws you mentioned at the rearward piviot a day or two after getting the older burton board. It took about half or more of the slop out, and I have ridden the board twice inbounds. The thing is a tank from a weight comparison to my solid board, but that is exptected regardless of the interface. It rode well and really did not bother me while riding as much as it did tinkering in my shop.

I have also found some great forum members who had some little used or never used burton interface parts on hand when they switched to the voile, so they have sold and shipped me some parts. This should keep my options open for a while. By then I will save enough to buy some new wicked stick for my growing quiver.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:58 pm 

i started life with a Burton interface and it really didnt take long before i realized the sticky snow we get here in the PNW becomes a clogging nightmare. I would of kept using the Burton interface if it worked ok, but it really just sucks. i would start looking at a voile conversion for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 pm 

jack wrote:
i started life with a Burton interface and it really didnt take long before i realized the sticky snow we get here in the PNW becomes a clogging nightmare. I would of kept using the Burton interface if it worked ok, but it really just sucks. i would start looking at a voile conversion for sure.

Well, being also in the PNW, I can relate to the snow sticking in the interface on my Burton interface. I found that (This goes with my clicker bindings too) that if you spray the interfaces with WD 40 or Pam, the snow has a tougher time sticking.

Mumbles:

My interface has that same slop in it. Regardless of how often you tighten it, the slop will come back. I just got used to it, and it does not really make too much difference to me since the slop is not too bad.

JimW:

Thats an interesting comparison you made. I never thought about the amount that the bindings will sit over the Voile sliders. Hmmm... maybe I will hold off on converting the burton interface out for Voile until I absolutely have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:08 am 

Otto wrote:
JimW:

Thats an interesting comparison you made. I never thought about the amount that the bindings will sit over the Voile sliders. Hmmm... maybe I will hold off on converting the burton interface out for Voile until I absolutely have to.

I think that this issue is probably completely cured by Will's new Ignition bindings. They are wider like the Burton interface, and since the binding is integrated with the interface itself it may even be lower overall than in the Burton case. We shall see soon... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:06 pm 

jimw wrote:
I think that this issue is probably completely cured by Will's new Ignition bindings. They are wider like the Burton interface, and since the binding is integrated with the interface itself it may even be lower overall than in the Burton case. We shall see soon... :)

I think you are right. If anything short of me completely destroying the Burton interface beyond repair, Those bindings sure are an alluring reason to make the switch sooner.

But, I am so fond of the burton crampon though, But I see that Will is also working on that. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:25 am 

Before my last trip, I tried to take the interface plate apart to figure out where the play was coming from. I couldn't figure it out. You can't really get the interface apart because most of it is riveted together.

On my last trip I found a new problem. In ski mode, one of my bindings actually started rotating on the interface. If I twisted my foot hard, the binding would move. When skinning, your bindings are submitted to all kinds of twisting torque, so by the end of the day this was happening all the time. When it gets to that point it's a leg injury waiting to happen.

I think the reason it happened is that the only thing really preventing it from twisting is that circular grip tape "donut" around the binding hole in the interface. On mine that is pretty much disintegrating, and without that there it's just smooth metal or plastic on metal, making it easier to twist. Note that it doesn't twist in board mode (well other than the other, limited twisting described above), because the flower engaged in the crescent rings prevents that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:31 pm 

So, OK. This thread had me thinking of how I could fix the slop in the bindings... I was OK with it before, but now I had to investigate.

I think part of it is, like in Jim's case, the grip tape circle has been decimated from anything that looks original. Plus when it's wet, it just slides around because the glue is worn out. But I don't think that is the entire "meat" of the issue.

So.... I looked a little closer to the actual "ring" on the board and noticed that there are some wear marks or dents from where the ring actually comes in contact with the "flower" part that is mounted to the "puck".

Now, I don't know if the wear is normal or it is because of the slop. If it is from the slop, I can only see it getting worse over time, unless you install new rings.

I don't see the same kind of wear on the "flower" on the puck, so I can only guess that the flower is of a harder metal than the rings. I don't have another set of rings to test this out. Since I have ruled out that it is actually the binding moving, and that it is the puck, I can rule out that the disentigrating grip tape has very little to do with the slop.

Now, the slop (twist) that you are getting Jim, most likely is because of your lack of grip tape, and not tightening the binding mount screws tight enough. Perhaps if one installed a slim rubber gasket, that would eliminate this problem.