Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight weeniedom: Splitboards vs teles vs AT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:04 am 

Hey all,
After reading the thoughts on the various "lightest _____ ever!" discussions here I decided to put my stuff on the scale and see where things came out.

Prototype Venture Divide 165 = 9.6 lb
Burton Driver X Boot = 5.2 lb
Prototype ignition bindings without padding (optional for those who want it)= 4.6 lb

Add all that up and you've got 19.5 lb.

So I was curious how this compares to the setups of our tele and AT brethren. Armed with my backcountry buyer's guide I proceeded to pick myself out a beefcake tele setup. All of the following weights are for a pair:

Karhu Team 186 = 11.3
Scarpa T1 size 27 = 8.63
Cobra free bindings = 4.6

Total = 24.6 lb

That's pretty beefy! I then picked out a lightweight setup:
Voile Insane 172 = 6.8
T2x size 27 = 6.8
Voile Switchback binding = 3

Total = 16.6

That's pretty light. If I were a tele skier, and I'm not, I'd probably end up somewhere in the middle to have a do it all type setup. So you might wager that your average tele setup is about 20 lb.

On to AT:
Beefcake:
Karhu Team 186 = 11.3
Marker Duke = 5.9
Garmont Shaman = 10.4

Total = 27.6

Lighter options:
Voile Insane 172 = 6.8
Scarpa F3 size 27.5 = 6.3
Dynafit Speed Lite = 1.3

Total = 14.4

It looks like the average weight for AT is again about 20 lb.

I was a bit surprised by these results, happily so. So the next time your skier friends are trying to tell you that splitboarding is heavy just tell them to put it all on the scale, you'll probably all end up the same.

I'm definitely interested in what other people's gear weighs, if you're like me and storn and have a scale, measure away and get your post on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:22 am 

Cool stuff but why did you list 1/2 the set up for splits and then multiply by two whereas the ski set ups already take this into acct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:22 am 

breaking down my setup like that makes me feel a little less bad about being a fat ass ;-)

Anybody got stats for la sportiva nuptse + never summer titan + salomon relay series bindings + voile setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:35 am 

A simple answer BCR, my postal scale only goes up to 5lb, so I have to weigh everything one at a time, a full board would max it out. Will you be riding those Ions again this year? I seem to remember those were pretty light.

As a disclaimer I would like to emphasize that light weight is important, but it's not the only measure of a setup. Being from the freeride biking end of things, a few pounds can go a long way as far as performance goes. So personally I'm mindful of weight, but it's not the only thing I'm looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:02 pm 

You mean the Spark headquarters doesn't have an uber scale? :)

No worries, can you edit your post and double the split weights so its consistent with the ski set-ups?

True true on weight vs performance.

ps. I used your cliff drop from scrubfest in that last vids, thanks. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:11 pm 

Original post edited. I do have an uber scale around here somewhere, but the resolution isn't so good, the postal scale is a bit more accurate.

I did recognize myself from your vid, thanks for putting me in there, glad I made the grade. That's seriously my only footage from last year, pretty poor, but I guess I'm too busy shredding to worry about that too much. I think the helmet cam will be good for lazy people like me, I might actually get telegirl to cooperate with that. Normal shooting would just be too slow for her. I gotta hand it to guys like the thrillheads who have the patience to forgo turns for good shots.

Weren't we talking about the weight of gear? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:19 pm 

Sorry to be a wanker but can you now edit the splitboard specs so that the boots are the second item listed like the ski specs? :)

Re the viddy stuff. Its all about what you're looking to get out of shooting it. For Thrillhead, thats there job essentially...to get good footy for their vids. They are going to put the time in. For you and I, its not our job and the amount of time we devote to it will depend on how much enjoyment we get out of shooting, editing, viewing, and sharing the footy. I enjoy it for the most part so I'm willing to put some time in. Re helmet cam footy. Some of it is cool mixed in but 100% gets sorta old quick. You should still get one regardless...just remember to get a high def camera too. Standard def sucks. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:09 pm 

My 3 main set ups:
Split board:
Split Decision 173: 9.62 lb
Voile plate binding: 2.37
Scarpa F1 : 6.87
Total: 19.16

Tele:
179 cm BD crossbow + Voile HW: 9.87
Scarpa T2X: 7.00
Total: 16.87

AT:
178 cm Voile Carbon Surf w/ Dynafit TLT: 8.87
Scarpa F1: 6.87
Total: 15.74

Skins all weight about 12 oz each. The board feels pretty heavy climbing compared to the other 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:27 pm 

Great information, its good to see how our eqiupment weighs out side by side with other backcountry tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:22 pm 

So luckily the people at Skiing magazine know more about skiing than I do. I've been getting skiing mag for free since I went to a Warren Miller premier. It's entertaining to read just to see what the "I get one cool ski resort vacation per year" crowd is in to. Always a new tip to help you master those groomer turns from your desk. Regardless, in their buyer's guide they actually had a pretty good section on AT and Tele skis, arranged in a way that we knuckle draggers can relate to.

Their picks: (no sizes given, use your imagination)

Big Mountain AT:
K2 Mount Baker: 8.6 lb
Marker Duke: 5.9 lb
Garmont Endorphin: 8.8 lb

Total weight: 23.3 lb

One Ski Quiver:
Karhu Jak: 8.5 lb
Fritschi freeride plus: 4.5 lb
Scarpa Spirit 4: 7.9 lb

Total Weight: 20.9 lb

Tour AT:
K2 Baker Superlight: 6.4 lb
Dynafit vertical ST-Ski Tour: 1.8 lb
Dynafit ZZero4: 7 lb

Total Weight: 15.2 lb

On to tele skis:

Big Mountain tele:
Rossignol Sickbird WRS: 8.4 lb
Rottefella Cobra R8 free: 4.4 lb
Garmont Ener-G: 8 lb

total weight: 20.8 lb

One Ski Quiver tele:
Rossignol Powderbird: 8.3 lb
Black Diamond 01: 3.7 lb
Scarpa T1: 8.6 lb

total weight 20.6 lb

Tour tele:
Black Diamond Stigma: 6.6 lb
G3 targa ascent: 3.1 lb
Scarpa T2x 6.8 lb

total weight 16.5 lb

Interesting that the touring AT setup came out quite a bit lighter than the touring tele setup. Regardless, it's encouraging to see where the weights come in. If I went with a carbon khyber (listed online at 7.5 lb) and could find some boots that were a bit lighter I'd be within striking range of the tour weights for AT and tele. I wouldn't call that my style though, I'd say I'm more of a one shred quiver type guy, and it looks like the current setup weighs in right with the other ones.

Thanks for posting your info paulster, a nice quiver you've got there!