Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Ignition Binding Test

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ignition Binding Test
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:15 pm 

Hey all,
So I did the testing at Montana State that I was talking about in my other posts. Thanks to John Parker, aka JParker on this site, for helping me out. I did a straight pull up test to make sure that the construction is up to snuff.
Board and binding set up in the Instron testing machine:

John Parker likes to give the finger in pictures:

Closeup:

Basically this test is a showdown between the pucks and the binder. The pucks have shown that they're bomber enough, you don't hear too many people complaining about breaking pucks out there. Therefore, if the binder is strong enough to break the pucks without damage then it makes the grade. If the binding breaks before the pucks do, then it's back to the drawing board.

Well it's a good day, the bindings won the match:

This means that I'm that much closer to production with these. I have a few manufacturing tweaks to figure out, but this was the big hurdle that I was lying in bed thinking about. You can watch a quick video I made of this test here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLY-05P7-yI

I'm off for a bikeride and beers, it's been a good day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:53 pm 

Punk rock, congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:42 pm 

Good work.

Those bases look quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:13 pm 

Bomber for sure....but damn that music was awful!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:16 pm 

Man affix ezee tiger gets me all fired up, but my girlfriend hates it too. Maybe next time I'll use "bitches in my britches", where's your podcast feed bro? Oh well, I'm an engineer not a videographer. Thanks for the bomber compliment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:19 pm 

Just playin' round!

Seriously though, if you are breaking pucks you have larger problems....or a machine. Looks great!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:43 pm 

Will, looks like you may have resolved my only issue I have had with the Voile system. The back tab on the slider plates has busted on me twice. The second time actually may be an issue with my new split (I hope not) but I haven't had time to fully investigate. I will say that in either case, the plates had between 60 and 120 days on them. So it's not like I am saying they aren't durable.

Your design looks way more bomber though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:58 pm 

Quote:
John Parker likes to give the finger in pictures:

It's true.

I thought it was pretty good breaking shit music myself.

Post subject: How Big?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:59 am 

Hi Will,
Thanks for your pioneering work! I'm hoping that I will be able to purchase a pair of Ignition bindings for my new split. Will your first run accommodate a size 11 boot? My boot measures 12 3/4" by 5" at the widest spots.
Cheers, tRoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:13 am 

Dang, that's a big boot! I think you'll want the xl that I'll come out with later on this year as this binding would be too narrow, and you'll have too much toe overhang. I ride a size 9 burton driver x, which is 11.75 x 4.63. I'll check the binder out with some different boot sizes and post a max size. The max boot width for the current sheetmetal is a hair over 4.75. Length is more fuzzy, probably 12.25 or something like that. The max might be a narrow and short 10.5 boot before you want the xl. I'm hoping to offer several widths so people can use a binding that's as narrow as possible for touring ease, rather than just making freaking wide baseplates like alot binding companies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:50 pm 

Hmmm, I am a size 11 foot... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 pm 

Right now I am taking a properties of materials class and it is sooo nice to see a testing machine used for something other than just pulling a rod apart or crushing a core. Nicely done.

Giving Girdwood the Finger!
And dropping hobos off in the hills since 1987.