Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can u split a Lib-Tech?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:05 pm 

Sorry for the newb question, but I just starting looking into splitboardn and would ideally like to split a Lib-Tech board with MagneTraction. Since I need a wide board I was hoping to split a Skunk Ape, but my concern is the air core. Can u split an air core board? I don't think so but thought I would ask. If not, has anyone split a TRS? Thanks for the input and sorry I haven't had enough time to do adequate research, your input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:48 am 

I don't know what this air core is, exactly, but it has to have SOMETHING inside it. The answer is, you can split anything, but how much more work do you have to do to make it stand up to normal abuse? I would assume that the answer is not much more than other boards, or it wouldn't stand up to normal riding either.

Hmm, that was pretty unhelpful... :roll:
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:23 am 

contact lib tech - I usually call the manufacturer or talk to a rep who has knowledge to find out about the boards construction/core before splitting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:58 am 

Be careful, but it should be doable. Measure 5 times, cut once.

As long as Libtech made the board centered and you cut centered you should be good to go. Might even leave enough room to wedge in some P-tex or something cool.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:37 pm 

Hi there,

I split an old Lib Tech Dark Series last year and it worked pretty good. I think it had a sandwich construction though, as opposed to air core. For what it's worth, I was pretty surprised at how "unsquare" snowboards can be. Ie, those insert patterns didn't line up perfectly down the middle - even before we cut it, when we drew a line down the center of the board, the inserts were off center by several millimeters.

Would this mean that the air core ribs could be possibly off center too? Maybe...

Something to think about before you cut it.

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 pm 

Shep wrote:
I don't know what this air core is, exactly, but it has to have SOMETHING inside it. The answer is, you can split anything, but how much more work do you have to do to make it stand up to normal abuse?

Haha, I own two Burton T6's and my friends always joke around about trying to split that. NO thanks :lol:

I would be insanely curious of a TR if anyone tried that though. I am learning the hard way about what (not) to do when self-splitting right now, and a T6 would just be that much crazier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:28 pm 

Finally chatted with a Lib-Tech rep, he didn't think splitting an air core was all that big a deal as he had previously split a Lib Tech Litigator, which has an air core, and filled in the gaps with resin. Is that standard, and if so how durable is it?

I am still hesitant to split the Skunk Ape, but am also hesitant to go for a 167 TRS to get enough waist width, as I was hoping to keep my split to less than 163 to ensure manueverability. Suggestions??? Prior experiences???

Thanks

162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:35 am 

I split a LibTech Joey McGuire w/ rib tech air core 3 seasons ago. I didn't quite get the cut perfect; one ski was fine the other caught the "air" channel. I filled mine in with epoxy and it has been fine. I would guess I have 60ish days on the deck and it is still solid.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:17 pm 

Tophervw wrote:
I split a LibTech Joey McGuire w/ rib tech air core 3 seasons ago. I didn't quite get the cut perfect; one ski was fine the other caught the "air" channel. I filled mine in with epoxy and it has been fine. I would guess I have 60ish days on the deck and it is still solid.

Good Luck

Thanks for your personal experience note!

162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:10 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
Tophervw wrote:

Good Luck

Thanks for your personal experience note!

let us know how it comes out.