Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:51 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
Brand new this year's whippets.

Sounds like they make 3 sections in the smaller diameter?

What year Expedition poles? If older than about 2 years ago or whenever it was they changed the diameter, the expedition lowers will be too narrow. You can order just the lowers from the new Expeditions.

Looking back in my records, I got a new Whippet in March 06. Likely that was the season they changed the diameters.

Unless they changed the diameter yet again this year.

Quote:
Why don't they just make some fuggin' 3 section whippets. Can't be that hard. Sounds like they have the right parts, just need to assemble them into a damn 3 section whippet.

They used to make one, called the Whippet Trek. I asked about it when I got the new one, and it sounded like they dropped it because there wasn't much demand for a 3 section one.

They would also have to make the mods above in order to make it work with a 3-section pole. Just sticking the 2-section lower into a Whippet upper shaft will not change the collapsed size much (which is what I have now), and it would have extra weight from the upper being longer than it needs to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:48 am 

jimw wrote:
Out of curiousity, what length are the poles you're using with your Whippets? 125 cm or 140 cm?

Well I checked it out this weekend, and I think I can answer that - you must be using the 125 cm ones. It doesn't work with the 140 cm ones...

jimw wrote:
I did the same thing, no extra pieces required. But, even with the shorter upper shaft, the second pole section on mine doesn't collapse all the way into the upper like the expedition pole does, and like it does for the Whippets pictured above. I assumed this was just "the way it is" because my old Whippet Trek, which was sold as a 3-section pole, is the same way. I assumed this was because of that extra piece of the Whippet pick that extends down into the shaft below the handle. So I figured that was just the way it was, and oh well, at least I got some minor weight savings from cutting off the unneeded part of the upper shaft.

I think this is The Way It Is.

Here's a pic of mine. This is as far as it will collapse:

Here it is with the lower removed, and placed next to the upper for reference. The top of the lower is even with the bottom of the Whippet pick insert in the shaft.

Closeup of where the upper hits the bottom of the Whippet insert:

The lowers can't go any higher in the shaft because of the pick insert. 15 cm less and it would collapse all the way like bcrider's. The 140 cm Expeditions will collapse smaller because the lower can go all the way into the handle of the upper. I routinely use mine at 135 cm in deep snow so I can't afford to lose any length.

In short... DOH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:15 pm 

jimw wrote:
The lowers can't go any higher in the shaft because of the pick insert.

Well I'll be damned. It looks like BD has released a new Whippet this year, which among other things, seems to address this issue (they say it "now permanently integrates the pick right into the grip top and the upper shaft for increased comfort and greater collapsibility"):

http://www.bdel.com/gear/fl_whippet.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:07 pm 

Bummer - I have the same one as you, Jim. I remember checking it out and not being able to figure out how to cut it down any smaller. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:57 am 

Yoda wrote:
Personally I feel the BD Trail is the best pole for the price and our needs, but I've already plugged that pole to death in other threads.

Based on this sentance alone I bought them and... I'm sad. Are they really the same as the expedition? I had Gabel poles (italian i think) which weighed a little more (I didn't realize till I compared the BD trail to another set of poles). They survived tons of abuse, but I forgot them in a car while hitchhiking.

I got the BD trail and on the 4th day of use I bent the lower pole section. One week of use later and I bent the other one. Then on my last day I broke one. The first incident was due to slipping and actually thrusting the heel laterally into the pole, so fair enough, but the other two were done with compressive stress on the pole itself. The flicklocks slipped a bit and then the pole shaft just bent out of shape completely. I did this with muscle strengh, bending with my weak arm and breaking with my strong arm, in both incidences without the elbow being bent, that is the strength of one tricept did that, and I can barely do 10 push ups.

In short, I think these poles were extremely weak and I would be really surprised that people reccomend the BD expedition poles if they are really the same thing with just a different tip/handle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:51 am 

JimW, what is the collapsed length of the pole in your photo...is it much shorter than the two piece whippet pole BD sells?

Post subject: Voile Poles...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:13 pm 

I did get the Voile pole since it was time for new poles and I too saw the $25 coupon Voile was offering up. The poles adjust with tiny pushbuttons and while I think they will work better than twist lock I think they are a little difficult to adjust. Also one pole handle has a scraper so you can stop carrying extra weight on your topdeck or ungunck your skins. I think the BD flicklock is much more user friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:49 am 

So I got my Whippets from MammothGear (I'm assuming they're the 2007 model) and ordered the 125 Expedition mid and lower shafts from bdel. The shafts came today and fit nicely into the upper with no mods. Looks like if I did some sawing as prescribed by previous posters I could get them to collapse down maybe a cm or two more but I think I'm happy with 'em for now. Just thought someone would like to know that this specific set up (2007 whippet with 125 cm exped mids/lowers) works well with no mods.
Anyway, the real reason for this post is I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what these are:

They came with the Whippets.
I'm guessing tuning fork or BC swizzle sticks. I'll report back and let you know how the martinis taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:26 pm 

wavy wrote:
Anyway, the real reason for this post is I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what these are

If you want to take out the Whippet pick when you don't need it, you can replace it with one of those things and it fits flush with the top of the grip. I never take mine out because 1) it's can be a pain in the ass, and 2) I find the Whippet pick is almost always useful. I guess BD has a similar opinion since the newly redesigned Whippet now has the pick permanently attached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:34 pm 

BastrdSonOfElvis wrote:
JimW, what is the collapsed length of the pole in your photo

30 inches

Quote:
...is it much shorter than the two piece whippet pole BD sells?

I haven't measured a 2-section pole, but this has to be way shorter, because in the 3-section case the bottom section is completely collapsed into the mid section. In my case that is saving about 15 inches. In the 2-section case, the lower section is still only going to collaspe into the top the same distance as for my 3-section case, and there is no 3rd lower section to collapse.

Post subject: Re: New Poles (now with Whippet mod)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:00 pm 

Anyone have a new whippet? I ordered one from Mammothgear - the description and picture appeared to be for the older model, but I am pretty sure that what I got is the new model. I can't see how I can really mod it to make it bond with my Expeditions - the upper whippet shaft does not fit into the middle shaft of the Expeditions. Oh well. Might offload it to a skier if I can't come up with something. :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:02 pm 

ScottH wrote:
Anyone have a new whippet? I ordered one from Mammothgear - the description and picture appeared to be for the older model, but I am pretty sure that what I got is the new model. I can't see how I can really mod it to make it bond with my Expeditions - the upper whippet shaft does not fit into the middle shaft of the Expeditions. Oh well. Might offload it to a skier if I can't come up with something. :scratch:

Call BD directly. I don't have the new Whippet, but my guess is that you will have to order separate lowers with dimensions to match the new Whippet upper. The dimensions of the Expeditions changed over the years, and depending on which version you have it may not fit. In any case, ordering the lowers separately should be pretty cheap (like $20).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:28 am 

Thanks for the tip - you were on the money. Checked with BD and they said the lower shafts of their older Enduro CF's will line up with the Whippet. :bananas:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next