Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:19 pm 

Okay... busted. I do have a scale. My old REI 3-part Peak UL carbon fiber trekking pole is 194g vs 330g for the Expedition. So the Expedition is 70% heavier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:23 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Okay... busted. I do have a scale. My old REI 3-part Peak UL carbon fiber trekking pole is 194g vs 330g for the Expedition. So the Expedition is 70% heavier.

But its twist lock so that weight savings doesn't really mean much if the pole won't stay adjusted. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:34 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Not really, but I have noticed that they are pretty much the heaviest fricken poles available anywhere. I'm just sayin'.

That's a pretty big exaggeration in my opinion. I think the lightest you'll find for a pole that is actually worth using will be 1 pound. So the 5 extra ounces that the expeditions weigh is pretty much a non issue considering the economic value and durability. (in my opinion)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:30 am 

bcrider wrote:
SanFrantastico wrote:

But its twist lock so that weight savings doesn't really mean much if the pole won't stay adjusted. :lol:

Well obviously I agree with you on that since I'm using Expeditions right now. But as I said previously I would be willing to try a CF version of Expeditions if they had flicklocks, which work great. I would be very suprised if there is a heavier pole out there than the Expedition. Maybe the Voile is in the same range? A 3-part pole is gonna be a heavy anyway, but I don't think BD made a whole lot of effort to lighten up the Expedition. I'm just saying that I'm not afraid of carbon fiber. Plenty of people are shaving ounces riding CF bindings, so I'm not sure why it's such a big leap to do the same thing with poles. But to each his own. I know the Expedition is a beloved product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:48 am 

Sounds like most of us agree that the Expedition IS the pole of choice...I just wanted to throw out that it is the ONLY pole that has lasted for more than on season for me.

In fact, this will be the third and they are still going strong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:12 am 

powder_tracker wrote:
Sounds like most of us agree that the Expedition IS the pole of choice...I just wanted to throw out that it is the ONLY pole that has lasted for more than on season for me.

In fact, this will be the third and they are still going strong!

To me that says a lot! I used to only get one season out of a set of poles too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:17 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I would be very suprised if there is a heavier pole out there than the Expedition. Plenty of people are shaving ounces riding CF bindings, so I'm not sure why it's such a big leap to do the same thing with poles.

I guess my point is SF that 4-5 ounces really isn't a BIG DEAL to me (when it comes to poles).

When you start talking about boots, bindings, and boards (things that are on your feet) its much more of a consideration in my opinion. I'm not opposed to lightening up the expedition poles. I just think that for the money you wont find a better set of poles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:37 am 

I will say that the Voile push button polls performed admirably. I will easily get another season out of them. The only problem is that unlike the Flicklocks, you can't really lock 'em down when collapsed. Never had a problem, until Iridepow did some crazy crashes late in the season. They flew apart while whe was doing front handsprings in the snow. So they had to be gathered up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:54 am 

powder_tracker wrote:
I would rather carry a little more weight and carry the expedition pole. my 2cents

Not to mention the little extra weight I'll have left in my pockets.

I'll be getting this pole. If I get fatigued swinging them uphill then I need to get out more. The money saved can go to where I see the weight savings counting (mojo/will's setup).

Thanks for the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:17 pm 

Since price seems to be the issue here then be aware that the BD Trail pole upgraded with 3/4 baskets will cost $4 more than a pair BD Expeditions ($80 vs $84). I've also learned that the Trail pole is compatable with the BD Whippet. They also offer the Trail poles in two length options that are almost identicle to the Expeditions.

I've seen both poles on sale online, so you can pay less than the retail amount if look hard enough. The Trail is exactly the same as the Alpine CF, but in all aluminum. The benifit over the Expeditions is a better grip for climbing and touring and an extended grip on the upper shaft for when traversing a steep sidehill without adjusting your poles. Pay the wopping extra $4 for the 3/4 baskets and you basically have a pair of Expeditions designed better for our needs. I should add that the Trail poles have replaceable carbide tips... something not found on the Expeditions.
http://www.bdel.com/gear/trail.php
http://www.bdel.com/gear/bd_baskets.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:30 pm 

I should mention that the BD Trail and Alpine CF's are available at REI and if you're a member they have a 20% off deal running right now. Try the poles out and if you not psyched, then return them... that's REI's policy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:36 pm 

Hmmm, real good find there yoda!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:26 pm 

I'd be curious to know if there is any difference in the strength off the BD Trail vs. the Expedition. mmcpheet said he broke a pair of the trekking poles last year. Maybe these were the 3-season version? I think the trekking grip would be nice, but I use Whippet uppers on both poles, so that negates that advantage (but having Whippets far outweighs that IMO).

One thing about the carbon poles that would be nice (aside from the weight savings) is the lack of oxidation. That seems to happen a lot to the aluminum poles if you don't take them apart immediately after a trip and dry them. They look like they contracted some horrible skin disease.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next