Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Poles (now with Whippet mod)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:10 am 

My old msr trekking style poles crapped out last season. Is there a splitboard.com standard on poles? I need to be riding what everyone else is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:43 pm 

Black Diamond Expedition. No better pole for Splittin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:45 pm 

I use the BD expedition as well - 2 seasons and no complaints. Separate the pieces and let them dry out after a day of riding and for the summer & fall break (or at least when you can remember to) - helps them last longer.

I see that voile has a split specific 3 piece pole this year - don't know anything about them but did notice a coupon/code for $25 off and free shipping for purchases of $50 or more at their online store when I recently bought some split kit parts. could be worth checkin out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:48 pm 

affix snow wrote:
Black Diamond Expedition. No better pole for Splittin'.

enough said!

Well almost, add a whippet upper (cut down a little) if you're climbing steep stuff. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:50 pm 

Yep! BD Expedition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:03 pm 

Even better - BD's Alpine CF poles!!!

The Alpine CF poles are the strongest and lightest 4 season pole available. They're designed for trekking (not skiing) and are betted suited for climbing and traversing... which is what most splitboarders do with their poles anyways. They will even work with the BD Whippet attachment due to compatible pole diameters. Just attach the BD 3/4 baskets and you're golden.

The Expedition poles are great, but they are SKI poles... I don't ski, I snowboard! An when I'm splitboarding, I'm using my poles to climb, period. Why buy ski poles if you're not sking?
http://www.bdel.com/gear/alpine_cf.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:03 pm 

Personally I'm not a fan of carbon fiber. Sure its light and strong..to a certain point. After that point they shatter. I used to have a carbon fiber probe and I accidentally hit it with my shovel and it shattered :shock:. I would rather carry a little more weight and carry the expedition pole. my 2cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:29 pm 

powder_tracker wrote:
I would rather carry a little more weight and carry the expedition pole. my 2cents

I agree.

Basically for $50 extra you get a set of poles that are only 4oz lighter (2oz per pole), less durable and potentially less field repairable, are longer on your pack (25in vs 22.5in), and don't come with good baskets for powder touring. You do get the comfy grip though. ;)

Personally I'll stick to expedition poles with whippet uppers.

Re the ski comment yoda. What a crock bro. ;) Not too many skiers uses the expedition poles because most of them don't use three section poles (other than smart ones like mmcpheet). :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:22 pm 

Personally I feel the BD Trail is the best pole for the price and our needs, but I've already plugged that pole to death in other threads. The benifit of the carbon for me is not weight reduction, but durability. Carbon is stonger than aluminum, but it's also stiffer, which can lend to it breaking, but that requires some major forces to have such a failure... not something I plan to encounter when touring (except avalanches). The plus for carbon is it can't get bent like aluminum... that's what appeals to me. I've bent all my aluminum poles at some point and have found it hindering the pole's adjustability as time goes on. The other benifit with the carbon is it does not oxidize like aluminum, causing your poles to stick when adjusting them... no longer the need to pull them apart for drying! Did I mention that the carbon poles from BD are also Whippet compatable?

FYI- the construction method along with the quality of the carbon are what makes the big differences in the performance and strength of a carbon pole. I know carbon can break, but it takes a lot of force, far more force than to bend or break an aluminum pole. Alot of the time when someone claims that the carbon has cracked or broken, it's actually the resin that bonds the carbon fibers that cracked, not the carbon itself... the carbon fiber is still structurally sound. Trust me, you'll know when carbon breaks... it's very loud and/or explosive. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:56 pm 

I use the BD Expedition poles because they are bomber but I think they are pretty damn heavy. My first poles were carbon fiber trekking poles and the CF did great. But they were twist-lock and the mechanism sheared off while I was trying to get them collapsed after they froze. Until then they were great & the weak point was the twist lock. I would definitely try a 3-piece carbon fiber pole with flick locks if my Expeditions ever break and if they weren't too expensive.

But in answer to the original question, yeah - the Expedition is what pretty much everyone uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:00 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Re the ski comment yoda. What a crock bro. ;) Not too many skiers uses the expedition poles because most of them don't use three section poles (other than smart ones like mmcpheet). :mrgreen:

They market that pole to ski mountaineers and travelers, not ski bums. The 3 section benifit for skiers is for packability when not in use (i.e. climbing a steep couloir or storing in a suitcase). It just happens to work well for us splitters, but it wasn't intended or even designed with our needs in mind. It's just a fricken 3 sectioned SKI pole that just happens to work for most of our needs, period. I'm not a skier and there's better suited product available, so why bother looking at this pole... it's doesn't make sense to me.

Btw, the Expedition poles come in two lengths (57cm or 62cm)... the longer pole (same length as the AlpineCF) is better for adjusting your pole for deep powder conditions, so unless you're 5'8" or shorter, I strongly recommend avoiding the shorter pole unless you like bending over or loosing your balance to plant your pole in the deep stuff. Example - I'm 6 feet tall and find myself adjusting my poles from at least 130-140cm in the deep stuff. The Expeditions in the 57cm length extend only to 125cm... way too short for my 6 foot height.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:16 pm 

whoa, the weight of a set of poles is that much of a concern?!

do you weigh your water/food supply before you head out for a day too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:04 pm 

DentalFlossTycoon wrote:
whoa, the weight of a set of poles is that much of a concern?!

do you weigh your water/food supply before you head out for a day too?

Not really, but I have noticed that they are pretty much the heaviest fricken poles available anywhere. I'm just sayin'.