Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Personally I feel the BD Trail is the best pole for the price and our needs, but I've already plugged that pole to death in other threads.

Based on this sentance alone I bought them and... I'm sad. Are they really the same as the expedition? I had Gabel poles (italian i think) which weighed a little more (I didn't realize till I compared the BD trail to another set of poles). They survived tons of abuse, but I forgot them in a car while hitchhiking.

I got the BD trail and on the 4th day of use I bent the lower pole section. One week of use later and I bent the other one. Then on my last day I broke one. The first incident was due to slipping and actually thrusting the heel laterally into the pole, so fair enough, but the other two were done with compressive stress on the pole itself. The flicklocks slipped a bit and then the pole shaft just bent out of shape completely. I did this with muscle strengh, bending with my weak arm and breaking with my strong arm, in both incidences without the elbow being bent, that is the strength of one tricept did that, and I can barely do 10 push ups.

In short, I think these poles were extremely weak and I would be really surprised that people reccomend the BD expedition poles if they are really the same thing with just a different tip/handle...

I love my trails, and I've never broken them. Maybe I need to abuse them some more, but this weekend we figured out that the middle section of the trail pole fits into the (new) whippet upper. I'm gonna mod the upper to make a three part whippet pole and I'll let you all know how it goes. The whippets are on order.....

Post subject: Re: New Poles (now with Whippet mod)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:01 pm 

How did the mod work out?
I need a new set of poles and would like to have a whippet.
Thanks.