the snowboard.

Here's the top deck that will
eventually get mounted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:23 pm 

WTF??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:08 pm 

That's freakin' awesome Mark, you'll have to post some split snoskatin' trip reports. I'm always psyched to see garage projects. I bet the noboarding guys would like to see something like what you've got. http://www.noboard.ca/product.html. Bring it to scrubfest for people to play on. I haven't personally done much for snoskating or noboarding, but it's probably fun like wakeskating or wakesurfing is. Did you make that deck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:49 am 

Yea I've been making ultra wide full concave decks for a couple of years now. With bi deck snowskating control comes from having leverage which is acheived by having the upper deck overhang the lower. So to be able to carve a fullsized snowboard on groomers you need an upperdeck that is a least 13 inches wide and some really fancy footwork. In powder or crud though all you need is tail leverage achieved by having a really long deck. I'm not that familar with noboards other then what I've seen on vids but as I understand it they need really good snowcondtions, any crust or wind blown and it gets pretty hard to handle. The great thing about their set up though is that its ultra light weight. With bidecks we just keep switching out the lower ski to accomodate the changing conditions. The biggest sub deck I've ridden is the libtech doughboy shredder at 6'10', talk about scary, the smallest is a 122 with a 7 1/2 nose and tail, under a 11 x 42 upper deck which incidently was a youth snowboard that I ripped two inches out of the center and reattached it with a laminated wood strip that had inserts in it.

I was hiking with this in the backcountry this spring when I ran in to a splitboarder, I made a few runs with him which finally gave me the chance to see how they really work. Which then led me to this site, which is really cool, and to making the snowskate split. Can't wait to get out on it and I'll be sure to keep you all updated on its shortcomings.

Jimw asked on the other post before I switched to here if it ollies very well.

Not great at least in the yard on the grass, I can only get it about six inches up but it manuals really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:49 pm 

Ok, no judgements yet. But let's see some riding photos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:30 pm 

This was at shutupandsnowskate 06 at snowqualmie. Somebody stuck a table on top of the little quarter pipe. The boards a burton 122 with a 13 x 33 top deck.

Hiking off the back side of schweitzer after the lifts closed down riding the deck shown above.

Short vid of the "slash for cash" at shutupandsnowskate 07. Mass start downhill, total caos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34cc0v5N1Eo

We live on 8 acreas of rolling terrain with a ground cover of 12"-36" of snow most winters. there are a bunch of fun short lines right out my backdoor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0ACGk3Y90

Short vid spring riding at schweitzer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhc01ksrM

Oh and it seems like I saw mtb posts, here's what my yard looks like in the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jdqyJumLS8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:44 pm 

Cool contraption mark. 8)

For backyard fun or if you live where there are no mountains that thing looks like a blast! I'm not sure its ready to replace the conventional snowboard though. Curios to hear why you need a split one and how you'll do the mod.

Cool vids too. The mtb one with the teeter totter was sick. :D

ps. is there a patent on the snow skate itself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:55 am 

Quote:
I'm not sure its ready to replace the conventional snowboard though.

You got that right, defiantly freeks on the fringe.

Quote:
Curios to hear why you need a split one and how you'll do the mod.

There is so much backcountry up here and its really close to my house. Also the backside of schweitzer has a ton of terrain that's really fun to ride. I've ridden most of the stuff on my tele gear.

Doing the mod was a bit involved and I'll have to wait and see if it will hold. Spitting the board with a taper was a bit funky in that after I ripped it with the skilsaw the tip and tail opened up to a ¼ gap. Which makes sense if you twist your brain around.

To fit em tight I used one side as a template and a lamintate trimmer with a bearing bit to scribe the other side to fit. Since its quite a bit narrower then a standard snowboard I had to trim the pucs and cut and redrill the slider tracks for the wire pin. I also had to stagger the touring brackets so they wouldn't overhang the sub deck which meant that I only got two of the t-nuts on each side. I guess I'll probably drill out a new hole and screw into the core, there's not room for another t-nut.

As far as actually using the set up I obviously need both the top deck attached to slider tracks and a pair of snowboard bindings attached to slider tracks. I've taken a set of youth bindings and removed the back so they are low profile and just one buckle. So yea I'll be carrying quite a bit of stuff on my back which may not jive at all with the strapless thing. But I'm looking forward to finding out.

I've heard that burton owns the patent which considering that they don't even make bi decks anymore speaks loads about the commercial viability of the sport. If it wasn't for Shag at lib tech making sure that at least some board are built every year there probably wouldn't be any big companies envolved at all. Burton almost destroyed it from the start by flooding the market with untested pieces of shit. It wasn't until Mervin got into it that they actually looked at ways of making it better. Lib techs putting out a banana magnatraction snowskate this year which will be sick. 48â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:25 pm 

Cool! I love the pandomonium in the Slash for Cash vid. It looks like a hoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:41 pm 

Man, you gotta bring that split snowskate to a splitfest sometime. Too cool. And thanks for posting that slash for cash vid. The was the funniest thing I've seen in a while!

mark11 wrote:
Oh and it seems like I saw mtb posts, here's what my yard looks like in the summer.

Nah, nobody here mountain bikes.

:)

Nice to have all that stuff in your backyard! Kinda reminds me of A River Runs Through It in Whistler. We build that kind of stuff around here and it just gets taken out.

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:52 am 

the way back to the

FUZZI GARHAMERS

old board..... swingboo

burton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:44 pm 

, Image

Yea the swingbo national team had it going on eh? There's actually some guys in sweden right now trying to bring it back with some high tech trucks that mount to two skis.

There is actually a pretty extensive history to strapfree riding starting with the snurfer which actually sold over 1 million boards in its 10 year run between 67 and 77. Rumor has it that Jake himself was an avid snurfer rider and brought one of his own decks to the world championships. His deck had these things called bindings which stunned the crowd, two years later snurfer closed its doors. The swingbo, mid 80's, was really high tech with a brake system that would activate when the rider fell off. After that there was the snodad, around 93, it was basically a surfboard for snow and I guess they worked ok in the pow. 96 was when this guy Steve from seattle mounted a skate deck to a skiboard at a party, and the thing worked. The noboard guys were also working on there stuff in the late 90's.

One of the early sims snowboard prototypes in 77, the flying yellow banana, used a lonnie toft skate deck mounted onto a plastic sled, this would defiently be the first use of a bideck

so there is defiently some historythat led to this,
Clarke Hurlbut at shutupandsnowskate

Post subject: Re: snowskate splitboard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 pm 

mark11 wrote:

i'm diggin the bi deck and it's width. the top deck looks awesome to ride and you can then swap out the sub deck per conditions.

is the sub deck cut in half to narrow it up or something?? what does that accomplish? faster edge to edge?

the noboard just seems like a snowboard with rubber matting and a bungee. wouldn't that be harder to control? the bi deck seems to make more sense to me.