Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Still waiting for this technology in splitboarding...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:39 am 

Its been 3 years now since I first suggested this technology for splitboards so I thought I'd throw it out there again for any mfgs to consider.

The idea goes like this.

Stop putting 24+ inserts into the boards when you only need 8. This will cut down on weight and production cost as well as allow for more infinite stance options and easier set up.

Here's a pic of the technology in one of Burton's new boards.

There are 2 inserts in each slot.

For a split however the slot would need to be moved from the center of the board to the side a little where the current inserts are.

Now the user just screws the pucks into each slot (4) and voila, you can micro adjust your stance beyond the limits that the existing method (row of 6 inserts and slots in pucks) allow.

Combine this weight savings with the weight savings that the Spark bindings allow (largely due to the removal of unnecessary hardware) and you've shaved some significant weight off a splitboard which equates to a better experience (longer tours and more shredding) for the user. 8)

/deaf ears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:06 am 

Hmmm, interesting idea. I haven't checked out the Burton tech yet myself. So I have no opinion on it. I believe Elsnowboardo from the other sb.com demo'd it. I can't remember what his thoughts were on it though. Losing a pound on a split would be huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:51 am 

ah, you're still wanting the slider track eh?

when are you going to order up a homebrew from me bcrider? LOL

I just measure 24 inserts on my scale here @ work. They were 105 grams or .231 lbs. I think those were for a 160 length board. Usually the longer the board the thicker the profile of the core and hence a tad taller insert. So a tad more weight too. What do the 2 slider tracks weigh in at?

Durability wise, would we be down to 2 mount points/binding w/ the slider track? Do you think this would be a result in more failures in the field?

I does seem like it would help w/ initial set-up and offer more adjustments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:44 pm 

yep mtnrider, weights savings is pretty minimal but it all adds up. The main benefits would be improved stance options and ease of step up. 8)

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:20 pm 

in the future - the are no inserts in a board - it is my mine.

the only fix 2 center disk with glue on the top . and safty bolts .

in the first raceboards with elfgen bindings - no inserts ..... the only fix the position with skispax .
it s better for the flex an the core . 12 -16 big hols for the inserts are not so good.....

burton

Post subject: Re: xxx
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:32 pm 

burton wrote:
it s better for the flex an the core . 12 -16 big hols for the inserts are not so good.....
burton

exactely! Especially when you only need 4 per foot. :mrgreen: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:54 pm 

Option boards had 2 channels for each binding 10 years ago, then Forum started using them. typical of Burton to let a smaller MFG develop something until it gets popluar, then 'reinvent" it and claim they were the first.

one thing to consider with the mounting channels...the actual plastic box installed in the snowboard has to flex length-wise with the board. I heard differing reports as to how that felt, some said the board had a kinked feel to it others said they felt no difference.

nice to see the site alive and well, been at least a year since I dropped in here!

if any splitters need deals on YOUTH boards and skis I now manage the snowsports program for World Industries, Airwalk and Fly Girls. mostly short stuff for kids 6-14, but we are gonna make some longer World sticks w/ nice sidewall construction. unfortunately "long" in this context means 162-165.

Chris I am psyched to see where this has gone from those heady days talking about the site in 03/04.

have a nice weekend Splitters!

KK