Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A short update from Spark R&D
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:24 pm 

Hello out there,
It's been a busy summer for me but things are going really well. I've got the production binding design pretty much buttoned up, in the next few weeks I'll get some made and do some destructive testing to be sure they're ready for abuse this winter. The bindings will be one of the products in Backcountry magazine's gear review issue which comes out in September, so I'm stoked on that. One of my demo sets will be at the Venture snowboards grand opening party on saturday, so if you're in the neighborhood go see Klem and Lisa and check out the new facility. I'd be there if it weren't 800 miles away. I made some new t-shirts with my friend Todd Heath, owner of Piste Off magazine here in Bozeman. Todd's also a sicky graphic designer if you need a hand with that stuff. Two issues of Piste off are now posted on the web, which you can check out at http://www.pisteoffzine.com/_index.html. There's a writeup about my operation in episode 4. Whaddya think:
Front graphic:
Rear graphic, actually from my patent application:
A few colors:
Mr. Heath is happy with the results
If you end up at the Venture party they will be giving a few of these away, go good luck to ya.

I made two good trips this summer, one to Whistler and one to Glacier national park with the ladyfriend and Lewmt. One of these days when it gets really stinkin' hot and I need to think about cold for a while I'll post a TR. Glacier is a feast for the eyes, 'nuff said:

Cheers,
Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:31 pm 

So when will I be able to buy a size large binding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:32 pm 

What's your boot size again? The model I've been riding can handle most except for the sasquatches. Anyway, binders will be available before there's much for snow Eco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:38 pm 

I wear a size 11.5 boot. Is that too Sasquach? Did you ever make your west coast trip this summer? Did you buy a new mtb yet?

PS Cool shirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:42 pm 

If you measure the length of your boot I'd be able to tell pretty easily. I think I had some people in 11s riding this year without complaint. Otherwise I'll probably get the xl binding together soon after this one. I didn't end up on the west coast this summer, it didn't seem like the right year for it with the snow. I didn't buy a bike yet either, but the longer I put up with my old one the cheaper/more advanced my next one will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:21 pm 

Yo Will,

Thanks for the update. That Backcountry review should be excellent promotion.

I'm looking forward to rockin your binders next season.

Enjoy product testing.

peace,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:33 am 

I'm ready now for a shirt and bindings doood! Where does the line start? Outstanding job Will :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:34 am 

Can't wait to ride some of these. Nice job with the backcountry review! Make enough for all of us!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:28 pm 

Very cool. Keep up the good work Will!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:08 pm 

Will, I'm completely changing my binding set up for '08 season. Been looking at a high end carbon fiber binding for the splitboard, but might consider yours. Whats the weight difference? You got any idea of a production quantity (is there one for me?)? Will my size 12 boots fit?
Cool, yer getting some play in the BC mag gear review. And Klem and Lisa at Venture are coool, I met them last season at an Avy clinic, go ride with them if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:11 am 

Totally looking forward to getting a pair of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:40 pm 

Great job Will, thanks for the update! Any word on those cool crampons you made? That and the binding might be enough to finally convince me to drop the Burton setup... :)

Also, I really like that Piste Off magazine. Very cool and non-corporate. Any info on how to subscribe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:03 am 

hey fellas,
Thanks for the stoke. Rico, I'm guessing you'll want the xl. I'll do my best to get that cranked out with the larges this fall. I don't have production prices yet, but as soon as I do I'll post them. My distribution plan is kind of evolving by the day. I'll make sure all the SB.com peeps that want 'em can get 'em when they're ready. You'll drop about a pound off of a normal binding with the voile setup (depending on your previoud binding weight), drop about 3/8 of an inch in ride and skinning height, and enjoy a tight slop free ride. More info at http://www.sparkrandd.com

These binders work with my 5 way adjustable crampon that drops in on the fly, you can check it out at page 2 on http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2843&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

You can email Todd from Piste Off at pisteoffzine@yahoo.com about subscriptions. Tell him where you came from Jim!