Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: making my own split
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:50 pm 

hello to all, new the forum and splitboarding in general. after a several years of not riding due to injuries and work i was able to start riding again this season and what a great season (late but still great) it has been. so for next season and my summer trip to chille im going to convert one of my old boards (air 165) to split. i have read all the info i can find about converting a board to a split. i have some questions.
i have at my disposal a:
table saw
bandsaw
laser
and a waterjet
im leaning to the waterjet but i am concerned about the pressure from the jet causing the board to delam.
with laser im concerned about the heat melting the base and burrning the core whe i go through the center insert.
both the laser and water jet make it very easy to program in to the computer to cut out some taper that i want.
what are your thoughts and opinions on either?
also what do you guys/girls do about highback rotation? i have highbaks rotated to offset me binding angles. i can see this a problem in split mode.
also does the voile hardware have a locking heel?
thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:58 am 

no locking heel in ski mode... sorry. As far as the laser, I think you are right to worry about the base. The Waterjet sounded scary at first, but upon further considertaion, it is a very interesting idea. Do you have some plywood that you could test this out on? I worry about soaking the cut edges or blowing out small pieces of laminated wood inside. If neither of these are a problem on the plywood, perhaps it will do okay on the board.

Safest bet though is the tablesaw. Make a spacer that is 1/2 of the taper to keep the board straight against the fence, and run that guy through. I'm pretty sure that's how ~99 percent of people do it, and I haven't heard any horro stories I can think of.

Best of Luck,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:43 am 

i actualy tried it on a piece of ply the other day and it worked fine. the problem is that a peice of ply is flat and has the table under it to stop blow out. the board however has camber so there is a space between the table and the board. i guess i can clamp the board to the table to negate the camber. id love to find a peice of wood that has some camber to test it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:11 am 

you could send a note to fellow forum member "burton". he has used the waterjet to split many a board.
I think a bandsaw has the advantage of a thinner kerf than the table saw...if a little less steady...something to consider should you be concerned about material loss.

gary

Post subject: make your own split guide
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:55 am 

Hi every body,
I'm writing from Italy...Some months ago I could read a "Make your own split" guide from climbingjunky, on his website...now i tried to access his site but I have some problems...I got the text of his guide, but not the pictures....anyone of you saved and coul send them??

I'm looking forwad to hearing from you!
Thanks!

Ricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:08 am 

Buon Giorno Ricky,
Unfortunately, I can't answer your question, but I was wondering where you live... I may be in Torino some over the fall, and would be very interested in some early season riding if you are anywhere around there.

Best of luck,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:49 am 

Hi Shep! Buon giorno!

For what concerns the guide, that's not a problem...this morning Climbingjunky sent me all the informations I need...thanks a lot!

I live in Brescia, about 100 km far from Milan and 250 km from Torino...And I actually ride, during the weekends, in the Italy's north-eastern spots...but as we say "mai dire mai".."never say never"!!! Just a thing: I'm not a great rider, just few more than a beginner. But I love mountain!!! If this suits you, just contact me when you're coming to Italy and if you need any information I'm at your disposal!!

looking forward to hearing from you!!

Ricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:18 am 

I'm on the continent this week for a quick trip of meetings (first time in Torino... I brought my camera, and I hope the mountains are visible!!!) I will probably be back in October some time, so very early season, but I could make it a point to spend 2-3 days at the end riding, and I'm pretty much a beginner too, so no problem there! I'll PM you when I know what's going on for my next trip. :)

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:53 am 

hardline wrote:
i actualy tried it on a piece of ply the other day and it worked fine. the problem is that a peice of ply is flat and has the table under it to stop blow out. the board however has camber so there is a space between the table and the board. i guess i can clamp the board to the table to negate the camber. id love to find a peice of wood that has some camber to test it on.

Another option would be to clamp the plywood or some other material to the base of the board. Whether the board flattens of the plywood cambers (in reality it will be a bit of both) any blowout should take place in the plywood and not the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:27 am 

You can always get your board split by us; Mountain and Terrain Technologies. We are happy to do the entire assembly, or pick up where you have left off.

Contact us on our website:

www.mnttechnologies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:10 pm 

so lemme get this straight, your website offers the service to split the board, get all the hardware, skins, and crampons for 130 american, plus shipping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:26 pm 

roderick250 wrote:
so lemme get this straight, your website offers the service to split the board, get all the hardware, skins, and crampons for 130 american, plus shipping?

The price is $130 to perform the split, install hardware, and repair base.

We provide upgraded hardware over Voile's provided hardware. The specific changes that we do can be seen here:

http://www.mnttechnologies.com/Images/splitboard.jpg

The cost of the hardware is as priced on Voile's site:
Kit=$150
Crampons=$75
Skins=$150

If you can find the kit cheaper, please feel free to send it along with your board.

We only ask that you pay to ship to us, and the shipping back to you is covered in the $130.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:59 pm 

Quote:
Some months ago I could read a "Make your own split" guide from climbingjunky, on his website...now i tried to access his site but I have some problems...I got the text of his guide, but not the pictures....anyone of you saved and coul send them??

The guide is back up in my site, and is available to look at.