Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to split from decades of boarding with boot question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:11 am 

Greetigns all, my mountianeering boots are salomon super moutain 9's and I'm hopeful to use these with plates with a viole kit. I'm certain that these will afford me the flexibility to put on my step in crampons, ride split or ride the board. The question you have all addressed most important to me is will this boot provide the support I need or not? I'm very comfortable riding my normal board with my burton step in boots and bindings with their high back. If the salomons are not stiff enough I think it would be wise to go to the plate with highback and ankle strap add on to keep the more versitile boot over just going with the burton boot option. The solomon super mountain 9's permit kicking steps, add the crampon, can be used to ascend and ride...but may need to have the extra support of the highback and strap add on. Are there such kits, or can a handy person (which I am) merely take a set from the shop and strip them down to the parts I need? I actually considered adding a stiff riser bar in the back and adding a high strap for more support, much like the really old school bindings had many years ago...three strap Kemper bindings were very common in the mid 80's and offered that extra high support. Sorry so long, but I appreicate your input...besides, my comfort is at stake here, not my safety, I won't compromise that. Comfort is only a benefit to the adventure. Thanks.

Mumbles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 am 

I suspect that Will's Spark Binding is going to decrease the importance of this debate for many of us. I think everyone here doing some sort of hybrid binding is getting the parts from a shop and rolling their own, but very quickly, you get close to the weight of Will's binding, I would think... I've ridden my PMB's a bit in my normal binding, and generally I find it about the same as my regular boots, so I'm becoming less inclined towards the mountaineering plate solutions shown here...

Thanks,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:58 am 

My BCD style binding is about 4 oz per foot ligher than the spark R&D bindings. Ideally, I'd like to put a beefier highback on it to see if that gives me any more control. (The original binding had lowbacks.) I'd also like to attach the toe bale directly to the slider plate without the Voile mountain plates. That would put my boot 3/4" closer to the board and shave maybe another 4 or 5 oz off each binding.

Yeah, weight-wise the Sparks are a big leap better than what most people are using. For comparison here are some weights, per binding mounted on the slider, with pins:

Burton Mission: 45.5 oz
Burton C60: 37.4 oz
Sparks: 34.8 oz
My BCD-style: 30.7 oz

Shep - my interest in this style of binding is partly about weight, but more about having a better boot for mountaineering on my foot. Sadly, the boots I've tried in this setup so far were too soft to control the snowboard well in dicey snow. So the real hitch in the system (in my mind) is the lack of the right boot. So while I keep playing around with the idea I will be riding Sparks this year if I can get my hands on some. My favorite feature on the Sparks, BTW, isn't the weight savings but the drop-in crampons.

Mumbles - you'll have to rig something yourself to try this approach. It was just at matter of sawing the heel cup off of a binding, drilling a few holes, and screwing the highback and Voile Mountain plate to the slider. I did it at home with a hacksaw and hand drill. Here are some pics: