Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:05 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Using crampons isn't a game...it's about using the proper gear to keep you both safe and up with the rest of the pack...

No doubt - I love crampons & use them happily when the conditions warrant it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:39 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I've been riding PMBs with the binding mod you mention, known in some parts at 'the BCD mod.' .

Maybe you´ve told about your boots before, but... are your liners PMB standard or use liners from a snowboard boot? They look taller.

And... is your setup you stiff enough when traversing on hard snow (with split crampons, of course)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:15 am 

The boot itself has a higher cuff than most PMBs. Koflach produced these boots under the names Vario Superpipe and Kolfach Oxygen in an attempt to enter the snowboard boot market in the early '90's. I replaced the stock lace-up liner with an Intuition liner. They have 3 sizes and I chose the 'Alpine' style ski boot liner, which has the highest cuff. It actually comes up about as high as the stock liner.

I was hoping that the liner would add some stiffness to the boot, which it did a little. But in terms of ankle flex, they are still more flexy than burly snowboard boots like the malamute and that may be a drawback depending on your point of view. But for that reason, I don't think they will help you on a hard snow traverse like hard boots would. Lucky for me I haven't been in that situation very much this year to test it out.

But my theory is that a lot of the 'surfy' feel comes from having that lateral flex and that you always have to balance surfiness vs. edge hold on a traverse.

I would say that they ride and skin similar to a soft snowboard boot. But they hike and climb much better and the binding I'm using is lighter in weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 pm 

Quote:
just looking for some purchase in the sketchee stuff. without having to play the crampon game, which takes more time.

My thoughts on this exactly.

Quote:
it's about using the proper gear to keep you both safe and up with the rest of the pack

So why is the rest of the pack safe and not putting on crampons? Granted there are times when they are going to be an absolute necessity, there just has to be a better way for the majority of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:29 am 

An update on my kooky boot/binding setup...

It has been performing great for me all season in powder and also in more mixed snow using my Voile Freeride.

I took it out this weekend on my new NS Titan in very challenging snow. Sometimes fast, more often wet and grabby, but always lumpy and somewhat runnelled. I really felt that the boot/binding setup was way too soft to control that board under these condtions. It's been a long time since I've eaten it so spectacularly. I was loving this exact setup in consolidated powder a few weeks ago.

I think I'll get a better highbacks for sure, because these are pretty low. I'm going to also change the attachment point for the ankle strap to see if that buys me more stiffness when leaning toe side. But I may have to break down and beef up the tounge in these boots for added stiffness for this setup to work in these types of conditions.

But I did do a few long traverses and they outperformed my soft boots on the traverse for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:02 pm 

In addition to SF's experience, I also had a crappy weekend on my PMB+MTN plate setup. Very similar conditions up at Okemo, VT. You'ld be going really fast, then a continuously increasing amount of drag for a while, then whaterver crap was tuck to the board would break free, and you could "sortof" cruise again. It sucked. :?

I'm thinking I may try adding ankle straps to the rear bales of the MTN plates. I'll post photos when I try it. If that doesn't work, I'll start looking at light-weight highbacks, at which time I'll basically have SF's setup exactly, I think.

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:05 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I've been riding PMBs with the binding mod you mention, known in some parts at 'the BCD mod.' I consider the mod useful for PMBs, but not hardboots. The idea with hardboots is that they are stiff enough that the highback isn't needed. Also, I think you may have trouble getting a standard ankle strap around a hard boot and you might have trouble fitting a hardboot into the heelcup of a highback. I don't know those last two things for sure, though.

By the way, here are a few shots of the mod:

I believe that this is the lightest existing strap & highback setup. I shaved 15.5 ounces per binding (close to 2 lbs off the whole board) in comparison to Mission bindings. They are 8 oz per binding lighter than C60s.

I've had 12 days with this setup this year (it's been meager in CA) and so far I'm digging it. It's as surfy as you could ask for in powder, identical to a softboot setup. I'd like to spend some more time with them in spring conditions, but so far I've had no issues in firm snow either.

Plus you have the joy of a real mountaineering boot on feet for your winter travel needs. Mine have stayed dry and warm on multi-day trips. They accept crampon bales and kicking steps with them is a real pleasure. So the setup works for me..

I wish a snowboard boot company would put a real mountaineering sole on a modern snowboard boot. Then the choice would be a no-brainer.

I have been thinking of going to a mountaineering boot and voile plates. i really like this mod it seems like a great way to go. so here is a stupid question, the voile hardboots plates will they work with a soft mountaineering boot or only pmb's? i dont have any experience with the hard boot setups this is why im asking. is the problem the piece that goes over the toe? is it to stiff for a soft mountaineering boot and will put presure on the toe as well as not hold the boot well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:10 am 

My guide at Exum Utah rode with Nuptse's, a very-tall, very-stiff leather boot. The mopre support you add to the binding, the less you need from the boot. HE used only plates w/ no highback or modifications. I have been trying this but need a bit more support.

So, I think you should avoid non-plastic boots unless you add a highback, and then you can start looking for softer boots.

As always, YMMV.

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:39 am 

I rode with nuptses, and superficially they didn't seem any stiffer than your normal snowboard boot.

They do have welts and a shank, so the sole area is rigid, but I would guess that the highback is necessary.

I'll try and rig a BCD/SF mod for next season, without the extra strap, so I'll get some voile mtn. plates. I'll give it a shot without the highback, but i'm skeptic (it's probably ridable, but not that fun).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:09 am 

WClumberjack wrote:
I have been thinking of going to a mountaineering boot and voile plates. i really like this mod it seems like a great way to go. so here is a stupid question, the voile hardboots plates will they work with a soft mountaineering boot or only pmb's? i dont have any experience with the hard boot setups this is why im asking. is the problem the piece that goes over the toe? is it to stiff for a soft mountaineering boot and will put presure on the toe as well as not hold the boot well?

I didn't feel that it was a problem with the toe bale. The toe bale has loosened up a little since the start of the season, but the boot sole is rigid so the toe doesn't really want to come up that much, even with the toe bale open.

These particular boots aren't very stiff when you lean forward against them. And the highbacks on these bindings are tiny. So I think the setup is pretty flexy. It had been working well with my Voile Freeride so maybe the burlier NS Titan was just too much for it. I was in pretty nasty snow, but I was a still little shocked by the lack of control. Maybe I just need to spend some time at a resort dialing it in, trying different stances and seeing how my softboot setup compares on that board.

BDC used the same boots, but he added a ski boot tongue to stiffen things up. I may try something like that. Or maybe I should rent a pair of Nuptses and see how they do. Either way, Bent Metal was kind enough to send me some new highbacks for free and I'm going to try that out in the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:17 am 

I couldn't imagine getting away with plates using the nuptses, especially if you're riding in any sort of hard pack conditions. I bought a pair and was hoping to be able to ride the plates with them, but found they're not stiff enough for my taste. The nuptses use plastic on the lower portion only, from the ankle up it's very flexible, leathery material. I ended up throwing some lace-up salomon snowboard boot linings in there and they work great with straps, but still wouldn't trust them on plates. You might be able to do the plates if you had super-human calf/ankle strength, like I'm sure Shep's guide had, but as a mere mortal I wouldn't go there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:39 am 

Clarification:

This was in wicked Wasatch Pow a couple feet deep. For spring corn or icy-windy stuff, I have no idea what he used. I make no warrantees express or implied...

P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:32 pm 

wavy wrote:
I couldn't imagine getting away with plates using the nuptses, especially if you're riding in any sort of hard pack conditions. I bought a pair and was hoping to be able to ride the plates with them, but found they're not stiff enough for my taste. The nuptses use plastic on the lower portion only, from the ankle up it's very flexible, leathery material. I ended up throwing some lace-up salomon snowboard boot linings in there and they work great with straps, but still wouldn't trust them on plates. You might be able to do the plates if you had super-human calf/ankle strength, like I'm sure Shep's guide had, but as a mere mortal I wouldn't go there.

I've got the Nuptses and I absolutely agree - straps with highbacks!

Steve