Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sealing a deck
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:21 pm 

I just picked up a 160 Voile self split, apparently its pretty unique since Voile doesn't make solid boards anymore. It's my first split and I'm wicked pumped. I understand that splitting any board has become pretty legit as I have been reading all the articles everyone has been writing, but one thing that I haven't found is how people are sealing up the self split. The guy that built my board informed me that he did about 12 coats of polyurethane to build up a side wall. Imagine this is a pretty common practice. Anyone have any other methods they found to be pretty sweet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:27 am 

I split a Voile' board for my first splitboard and used West System epoxy, several coats thinned out to penatrate the core, then several heavy coats to seal it up, I think it worked, It's still holding up after over 5 years.

Post subject: After splitting my burton johan I sealed it with epoxy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:16 am 

I split my burton johan then beveled the p-tex. After that I mixed up some quick set epoxy and applied it smoothly to both cut edges. I allowed this to dry overnight, sanded it smooth, then applied another coat. I repeated this coating process for five layers after which the board looks pretty darn good for my first effort.

I read here somewhere that you can use polyurethane, varithane varnish or even sealing paint. I opted for the eopoxy because it was very commonly discussed and I had some in the shop where I build fly rods and golf clubs.