Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My splitboards 2007: 2. Burton/Voile conversion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:05 am 

With all the good examples in the forum it was easy to realize the conversion. This is the final result:

I just had to work a little on the heel puck of the front foot

To fix the Voile heel lifter w/o new holes I made a little alu base:

The part that required more time to be fitted was the crampons: I wanted to use the Burton because they are so much lighter than Voile. I found a solution by using the B&D crampon mount and making a little mod to the crampon:

The B&D mount requires two holes:

Side view

The mod on the crampon

Inserting the crampon

The nice thing is that this mount is independent from the touring bracket, so you can find the right position to make the crampon design meet perfectly the heel lifter shape:

All you need is just to file a little the back side of the heel lifter

Side view:

Slider track, h. lifter and crampon

Not possible to use h.lifters and crampons together.
If you don't own the Burton crampons you can choose the B&D (see my other post) so you don't have to do any modification.

As I already said:
Many thanks to all the splitboarders that shared their experiences & experiments on this forum, especially : BCrider, jimw, ttriche, dacksdescents, sanfrantastico, utahgirl, jack, dishwasher-dave, boardergirl, brett, burton and all the others that I can't remember now . Without your help I would never been able to survive this dry, hot, green and, in one word, poor winter … thanks a lot to all of you !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:40 pm 

WOW. I consider myself a handyman/macgyver (sp?). Nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:35 am 

Nice work again. I am going to converting my burton to the voile system as well. I've got an older voile system (split your own board kit) and I miss it, time split another board and have a second set-up. I can't stand the burton interface anymore, clogs way to much with snow/ice.

What angles were you able to get? Were you able to get the pucks to work without any drilling at all? Looks like I might need a combo of single slot and double slot pucks to get it to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:02 pm 

jcocci:
rear -9 / front 21 stance 53cm, if you play a while with the pucks you can obtain many different combinations.
no drilling, just a little work on one puck (front) , see the 2nd pic.
yes, you have to use the puks with double and single slot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:00 am 

Nice mods Bruno. I went back to the Burton hardware for now, but I'll convert it over again one of these days. There were some things I didn't like:

- More side-side "looseness" (i.e. as if you had your foot in the binding then move your knee in to one side, the out to the other) with the Voile slider/pucks than with the Burton plate, plus you're higher off the board. Both of these would be much better with Will's bindings. Also I don't know if I trust the pucks that have to be mounted with the screws on the very edge.

- I really wanted to use the Burton crampon too. Those B&D mounts are genius. Do you have any more info on their stuff? Mine didn't work because the hacked Burton touring bracket/Voile plate didn't like the mods. But using a separate crampon mount fixes it. I could see going back to my hacked system but with the B&D mount... with my lame heel-lifter-on-puck thing you could still use the heel lifter with the crampon. The B&D one in the other post looks cool too.

Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:42 am 

So I can see how you couldn't use the heel lift with the Burton cramp-on set-up, but how does the cramp-on work the B&D ones with the heel lift in use? Meaning what is weighing the cramp-on down with the heel lift in use?

I decided to bag the "convert my old Burton to the Voile set-up" idea for now and just went out and bought a new S-Series 162. I also just split a Sims Search 165 and put the DIY kit I had on there. Trying to figure out how best to do crampons for both of these. I also discovered something last night while finishing the DIY kit. I had a set of G3 heel lifts kicking around, the ones with the two different lengths lifters and discovered they fit perfectly. The hole pattern is the same as the Voile ones so I have two different heel lift heights. These will fit on the manufactured splits as well as I tired it in on my new S-Series. I can post pics if anyone wants to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:08 am 

Thanks for sharing all you mods with us bruno! 8) 8) 8)