Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inserts or not
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:30 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience, pulling their inserts out of the core- i think(puck inserts)?

Long story short; the other day at work, i was turning into a traverse at the bottom of a pitch and hit a little pillow and lurched forward. The small lurch resulted in snapping the puck on my toe edge. When i get down to the cat i notice that the remaining puck is very loose and the top sheet has delamed.

I get home a dry the ski out. And then survey the damage. After the ski dries out the delame reduces itself but the top sheet is still disconnected. I take a closer look at the inserts and notice the the two inserts that my puck was attached to, are sitting noticable higher. And upon trying to remove the screw at one end that i used to make a string line. The bolt would just spin(meaning that the insert is loose?) until i pulled up and turned. The is also a small section under the puck on the base that has some reverse camber(a little bump)

Now is there a quick fix to it. I dont really want to deal with warrenty. I have before, and they(prior) are not the best. Also i am suppose to be working tomorrow and need a splitboard but cant ride the one i have. Has anyone had this problem and just filled the shit out of it with epoxy, clamped it for a couple days and had success. The board sees alot of use and needs to last. Does not look to professional when your equipment is breaking.
Does anyone know exactly how the inserts are installed and could be fixed.

The other thing i was thinking is just moving my puck forward to some inserts that have not been used. But was thinking if the core is compromised then i might just pull those inserts out aswell.

Any help is most appreciated. Tonnes of snow here and i am going to have to find some skis to tour on :(
cheers, cam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:37 am 

Sorry to hear about the board.

Holes are drilled thru the wood core and have a slight countersink in the bottom of the base of the core so that it sits flush. It sucks, but I would try to warranty the board if it's not over a year old. They can't fix your board so they should replace it. It's up to them though I guess. The inserts are pretty close together, so if your core cracked some to let those inserts rise higher it may have cracked the core up to the next insert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:37 am 

I had the same problem last year. Front insert set on one ski was pulling out starting about an inch below the inserts after a forward fall. The core was pulling out in a 2 inch strip around the inserts and ripped the top sheet so you could see the wood.
I got a shop to epoxy the ski back together, but the one ski now has a slight reverse camber. I've only taken it on a couple trips since including a 3 day hut trip and so far it's held up. There isn't much of a ride difference that i've noticed, so i'm happy with that. I'm not sure how long it will hold after the fix, but the board is already over 4 years old and is at the end of it's life. I'll let you know if the epoxy fix fails.
I certainly agree with mtnrider that you shouldn't ride it just with different inserts. Probably just make it worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:43 am 

I would be calling Prior and make them deal with it.....

As a snow Professional (which im assuming you are) It would be in THEIR best interest to replace it.....

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:05 pm 

affix snow wrote:

As a snow Professional (which im assuming you are) It would be in THEIR best interest to replace it.....

My sentiments exactly. If you do send it back please post back on what action prior decided, I'll be curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:12 pm 

I would make Prior deal with it first, before you try to do anything. As soon as you try to fix it and your fix does not work, Prior will not have anything to do with you. I used to work as a ski tech for about 5 years and I always would asses someones damaged ski and call the company for them to see what kind of warranty they could offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:17 pm 

So i talked with prior and am sending the board back. They said they might be able to fix it, but i am not holding out for anything. And if they cant fix it they said they would give me a good deal.

He also said that they did have some 'issues' with the kyber of that generation(2 years ago). Which i was aware of. The board that i broke was a warrenty return. The first board had the top sheet delame to the point i could pass my hand and almost arm under it on the third day of use.

I also noticed that the core on my board is comprised of two or more pieces of wood. Looks like Prior feathers two sheets together right under the front foot. Which to me is where a lot of force is applied. What is wrong with one continuous sheet of wood. I dont care if it is a bunch of sheets laminated horizontaly, but make it one continous sheet. It is just stonger. No need to say, but this is where the inserts pulled from(the joint). does anyone know anything about this?

For the time being i am buying a pair of B Squads and Freerides so i can have something that will last and not leave me straded somewhere. Hopefully thay can fix the board(i no longer feel they are worth the pricetag) and i am a far better rider than skiier, and snowshoes fucking SUCK.

Ill give you an update when i get one.

Also any reviews on Prior new carbon board and the durability of Never Summer splits. 3 years shows alot of pride in a product.

cheers, cam