Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:16 am 

Thanks. I've experienced the same thing with them getting brittle and breaking in the cold. In my case I was a dumb ass and stepped on the strap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:02 pm 

Two suggesions for this thread:

1) Get a tube of two part epoxy, mix up a small amount push your falling out strap out just a bit, place some epoxy there and then pull it up flush. After that use a fine pointed application stick to deposit a dab or two on the area of the strap just above the binding hole through which it slides. Clamp or hold in place. After it dries (under five minutes if you get quick set epoxy) mix up another small batch, turn the binding over and apply some to the bottom of the hole through which the strap slides. Now you have epoxied it inside, above and below the problem area. This might add a few grams to your rig though.

2) For those brittle straps. Carry a spare, but do this like the skins recommenation of keeping them inside your jacket or at least under the shell pant or jacket layer. This will keep them flexible, but ultimately these too will drop in temp and become brittle. If you can get to a shop with a lot of binding repair parts, bring yours and see how many varieties you can find. Some might need minor cutting, filing or tooling to fit exactly, but each may be made of a different plastic formulation. Take these and put them in your freezer for a few days, then take them out and try to destroy them through flexing. You will find the lesser brittle ones and be set.

In my former riding group of four I was "Mister Fixit" and had in my vehicle most things for singificant problems and carried about 3 pounds of emergency items that just could not be done without. The crappy part was getting a hold of all of my friends varied gear to ensrue that I had a spare bolt, tee nut, strap, clamp, screw, pad or whatever they could manage to damage, break or lose. Let's just say the three of them were in awe and generally I did enough to keep them riding that they bought my beer. And Mumbles is a fat kid that likes to drink beer and tinker with gear. This is perfect, get beer as a reward for doing repairs which I like to do anyway.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:00 pm 

I drill a hole in the bottom of the strap and run a wire from the strap to the baseplate so it can't falloff. (Just like with the pins) Held up for two years of heavy use so far.

I also *always* leave an extra strap in the pocket of my pants along with a couple of zip ties and a tool. I have a bigger repair kit in my pack, but it has helped to always have zips and a strap on my person.

VTRider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:47 pm 

vtrider wrote:
(Just like with the pins)

I go naked. :)

Removing those cables on the pins are the first I do, I even removed them on the new Spark Bindings. PIA in my opinion.