Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Binding strap problem on splitboard
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:43 am 

Hey guys/gals-

I have just got my split set up and am using older Burton C60's. I noticed after putting the bindings on the plates that the toe strap (ladder strap) can easily fall out of place or get lost due to the fact that the binding base no longer is flush with the board topsheet. I see no way to solve this problem other than putting a bolt through the ladder strap near the binding base- but worry that this will compromise the strength of the plastic.

I'm sure everyone has had this problem if using Burton bindings or others. Any suggestion on not losing a strap in the snow?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:35 am 

Cheap solution is to just use some transparent shipping tape and cover the hole and just a bit of the side of your binding...

Harder solution (but still easy) is to cut a thin sheet of plastic (0.5mm) and glue it to the voile plate and make sure it reaches all the way to the side of the binding. Just add a drop of glue and you're set!

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:59 am 

Are they like my P1 carbon's ? It has two adjustments and to change adjustment you slip the strp down and then slide it to the other side of the slot and pull up? If so you wont loose the strap. The only time its loose is in the transition and it will drop down but not enough to come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:18 am 

nope, my C60s are the 2004/05 model and they are worn. The ladder strap comes out completely during transition. since it doesn't lock into the adjustment holes on the base plate (too worn for a tight fit).

I'm thinking just a simple rubber band around the bottom of the ladder strap to prevent sliding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:29 pm 

I just wrapped some ducttape around it so it couldnt slip through the hole.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:04 pm 

ditto on duct tape with burton cfx's, just check em before each tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:22 pm 

i have the same issue with the burton bindings. checking the tape prior to the tour is important! also i have had the tape come off (once) during particularly cold cold snowy snowy adventure and when i went to transition i lost the strap in the deep snow - i found it - but i would also carry an xtra if you can get one, just in case! or carry something like a small repair canvas strap or some way to deal with fastening that front strap if you should loose the original strap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:02 pm 

I switched to Ride bindings this year for that reason. Not to mention the are metal, (I've broken my Burton plastic bindings at least once each year hitting rocks while skinning)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:15 pm 

I have the P1 carbons and from what I recall, they can in fact fall out (the toe strap). It's just as annoying though if they just slip down and end up in a different slot, because you might not notice until you're riding and wondering why your bindings feel different.

I just put some duct tape on mine, but it doesn't last very long. I think it was karma surf who had a more permanent suggestion - fill the slot with shoe goo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:20 pm 

I've used Missions and now use the C60's. The solution is simple- use silicone. Put the boot into the binding and secure all straps. Squeeze some silicone into the extra space and let this dry overnight. This treatment lasted me about 60 heavy days of abuse last season. Losing straps is no longer a concern for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:17 am 

karma surf wrote:
I've used Missions and now use the C60's. The solution is simple- use silicone. Put the boot into the binding and secure all straps. Squeeze some silicone into the extra space and let this dry overnight. This treatment lasted me about 60 heavy days of abuse last season. Losing straps is no longer a concern for me.

Can you still get the straps out if they break?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:25 pm 

Toe cap straps on my C60's each broke once last year. The plastic portion becomes a bit brittle in low temps. Each strap broke across preplaced adjustment holes in the straps.

Each time I was easily able to dig out the chunk of silicone for replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:59 am 

That's not good. Aggresive riding? Skinning?.........