Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:49 pm 

These look great! I have wanted something like this for years. Hopefully you can get some funding to make a little better binding for production though. Geez where is the neon colors and carbon fiber? (That's a joke)
3/4 of a pound is alot of savings for those weight junkies. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:09 pm 

Thanks Shredgnar!
Funding, oh, you mean my day job, too bad they actually want 40+ hours per week. Donations are graciously accepted.

Dang, what's a guy gotta do to get Jimw's attention? I even had the aftermarket dh bike levers on there. Must be because I'm on a PC. Why ya'll gotta PC hate? Anyway, hope everyone on this forum enjoys some turkey tomorrow, what a great place have to nerd out on splitboarding (thanks BCRider!). I give much thanks for all good input.

Bottoms up!
-Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:10 pm 

thats a great idea keep us informed on when they start selling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:26 pm 

Will wrote:
Thanks Shredgnar!
Dang, what's a guy gotta do to get Jimw's attention? I even had the aftermarket dh bike levers on there. Must be because I'm on a PC. Why ya'll gotta PC hate?

Who?

:)

Been out of town for pretty much the whole month, just now getting caught up on the happenings here and come to find this?? I gotta agree with PJ:
powderjunkie wrote:
HALLEJUAH

Seriously cool work Will! I know others who have talked about something similar but it's nice to see an actual working prototype out there, with a lot of the issues already worked out. Some random comments:

- Count me in for the capstrap. I'll never go back to regular toe straps.

- I'm also a big fan of the heel lockdown option. I was trying to figure out a way to do that when I tried converting my Burton to the Voile interface. I think this could be one of those things that people don't really think is that necessary, but once they try it they're hooked. Particularly if it's super-easy to engage/disengage the lock. I can think of so many times I could use that. Sketchy traverse sections, icy downhill rollers, skating across long flat sections...

- It might be nice if you could switch out highbacks to use your highback of choice. Maybe design it to work with at least some of the more popular bindings (of course I'm Burton-biased...). If that isn't an option, I vote for a stiff highback with quick tool-less adjustable forward lean. Something like Bent Metal's forward lean adjuster would be easy and bomber.

- It looks like these bindings would be slightly narrower than a typical strap binding mounted on a slider plate, is that true? This is good, for all the reasons bcd listed in the description of his binding mod.

- It looks like these may be incompatible with the Voile crampons, which would be a bummer. Unless, of course, you designed an improved crampon to go along with these bindings that could be inserted on the fly! :)

- One of the things I really like about the design is the reduction in height and improved side to side stability because it's closer to the top of the board. That was one of the things that really bugged me when I converted the Burton to use the Voile system. It bugged me enough that I went back to the Burton system. Your system looks a lot closer to the Burton interface in terms of height. It would be nice if you could eliminate the remaining gap on the sides with some plastic shims attached to the bottom of the interfaces or the top of the board. They could be ramped to reduce sticktion issues.

- Those brake levers didn't go unnoticed! They do look suspiciously similar to the Dangerboy levers... Speaking of which, I just noticed that they now have versions for Louise FR brakes - I'm ordering a pair! :)

Keep up the great work.

Just not on a PC. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:20 pm 

Thanks Jim,
I've been working on generation two intensively lately, sometimes I've gotta stay away from the forum to get things done. I'm releasing this design for manufacture next week, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Quote:
- I'm also a big fan of the heel lockdown option.

This design will get released after the binding. I'll have something to show in january

Quote:
- It might be nice if you could switch out highbacks to use your highback of choice

Probably not possible just due to geometrical reasons, but I'll try to get a few highback choices to keep everyone happy. Down the road I would like to produce my own for some split specific reasons.

Quote:
- It looks like these bindings would be slightly narrower than a typical strap binding mounted on a slider plate, is that true?

These bindings are narrower than a plastic snowboard binding mounted on the voile plate. They are about the same width as a regular snowboard binding. I was riding a set of drakes before which were really wide, snagging them on each other would happen. This hasn't been a problem on this setup.

Quote:
- It looks like these may be incompatible with the Voile crampons, which would be a bummer. Unless, of course, you designed an improved crampon to go along with these bindings that could be inserted on the fly! Smile

This binding is not compatible with the voile crampons. They are compatible with a five way adjustable crampon that can be dropped in or removed on the fly.

Quote:
It would be nice if you could eliminate the remaining gap on the sides with some plastic shims attached to the bottom of the interfaces or the top of the board. They could be ramped to reduce sticktion issues.

Coming on generation two.

Quote:
- Those brake levers didn't go unnoticed! They do look suspiciously similar to the Dangerboy levers... Speaking of which, I just noticed that they now have versions for Louise FR brakes - I'm ordering a pair!

Tyler's not dangerboy, and he says the misidentification could be due to smoking crack, but I think he's on crack for not having his website together so you could see those levers and the chainguides he's been building, especially after the good reviews he got in dirt rag. I suppose that's another story for another thread, or forum.

Thanks again for all the good words everybody. I've been getting emails from the US, Germany, Norway, and Israel. This whole internet age is pretty freakin' cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:40 pm 

Will wrote:
Quote:
- It looks like these may be incompatible with the Voile crampons, which would be a bummer. Unless, of course, you designed an improved crampon to go along with these bindings that could be inserted on the fly! Smile

This binding is not compatible with the voile crampons. They are compatible with a five way adjustable crampon that can be dropped in or removed on the fly.

Um... I take it this is an improved crampon design of your own? Tell us more! Will it only work with your bindings?

Looking forward to seeing the next generation. Keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:14 pm 

yeesh sorry about the previous sloppy post, I fixed it up with some edits.

The crampon works with my binding and with the voile setup. I'll show it later on when I have better pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:33 pm 

I feel pretty lucky that I've actually gotten to try these things & there's some noticeable improvements that shined in this binding.
1. Firm sidehills while skinning up is noticeably more stable on the board & better edge pressure/edge hold.
2. Noticeable weight advantage vs. my standard DIY split w/Voile setup
3. You are on the board when you ride - I'm not sure how best to describe except it feels more solid in the binding/board interface while riding.

I'll definitely be buying when he's in production.

Thanks Will !! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:00 pm 

I want one now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:38 pm 

Looking good Will! Add another vote for lockdown capability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:40 pm 

I haven't checked in on this thread in awhile. Definitely looks like you got it going on Will. I am in for a pair once they get going. The big question is, what do you think the price is going to be for this customer setup? $200? $300? Can't be cheap doing that sort of production. Either way, I am looking forward to getting my hands on a pair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:35 am 

Prices on these bindings are still TBD but I can assure you it won't be totally crazy, probably close to the cost of a high end strap binding. I just recieved an email that my parts for generation II are ready, I will be posting about them this weekend or next week and changing my website. I think you'll all be pleased with the improvements for gen II, I appreciate all the good input and ideas, and put a bunch of them to use with this next version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:12 am 

These look phenomenal!! I will be on your preorder list as soon as there is such a thing.

As far straps are concerned, I really like high end Ride straps as well, you can get 'em tight enough to cut circulation.