Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowshoe/crampon option
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:49 pm 

I know, I should have quit snowshoes when I started splittin, but, I still use my msr denalis on some stuff. Just thought I would share a trick I've been using for a while. I Fixed the pins that attach the bindings to the platform so that they can be removed easily whithout taking off the shoe. This way you can take off the platform but still have the crampons for traction. Works quite well for climbing steep snow. I also then use the platforms kinda like poles/snow anchors to pull my way up. If there was a production version with better crampons it would be even sweeter. Is there anything else out there like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:12 pm 

Grivel made a series of snowshoes, the "promenade", that used either an integral crampon ( which could not be removed ) or your favourite crampon ( which obviously could be removed from the snowshoe ) as the strap in point of the snowshoe.
I have a version with the integral crampon and was quite pleased with it's performance in windblasted snow and ice.
Sadly they seem to have discontinued the snowshoe...perhaps too many of us moved to splits? :lol:

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:11 pm 

Hey Shredgnar,

Check out the new Flight System from Kahtoola. It's brand new this season and is developed by minds from Kahtoola, Redfeather/Tubbs/Sherpa and Nike ACG.
http://www.kahtoola.com/flight-boot.html http://www.kahtoola.com/flight-deck.html

The Flight System is the only snowshoe currently in production that offers a two-in-one feature... you can use the over-shoe (Flight Boot) like a crampon for traction on firm snow and then use the step-in snow decks (Flight Deck) for the deep stuff.

The trick for snowboarders is to use your snowboard boot liners in conjunction with the Flight Boot. When you reach your destintion, pull off the Flight Boots and re-insert your liners into your boot shells (which you carry in your bindings on the way up). Then attach the Flight Boots to the Flight Decks and strap them to your pack.

I have to say, I can't believe that I'm talking about snowshoes on this forum... seems sacrilegious!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:13 pm 

Thanks yoda. Looks like a good system. Taking my liners out sounds like a pain. I can barely get my feet out somedays. :wink: The crampons look a little weak too. I don't know. Do you think it would be too specialized to create something like this? maybe a snowshoe/technical crampon/ binding, Kinda like a step in system from k2 when they made approach skis and snowshoes that were step in. Kinda hard to explain and probably too specialized so very few people would buy it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:18 pm 

I have to admit the current design is not the best for snowboard, AT or Sorel type boots, as you have to remove the liner to make it work... not fun!

I know Kahtoola has talked about making a Flight Sandal that would strap to snowboard, AT and any oversized boots. If they make something like that, it would not be available untill next season.

As far as the durabilty or performance of the crampon feature on the Flight Boots, the cleats are hardened stainless steel just like the cleats on MSR snowshoes. They are also about the same length as most snowshoe cleats.

The Flight Boots also offer more traction than using the "modified" fore-foot crampon integrated with the MSR shoe (or any snowshoe)... it's way more secure having cleats on both your toes and heels!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:33 pm 

Yoda wrote:
I have to admit the current design is not the best for snowboard, AT or Sorel type boots, as you have to remove the liner to make it work... not fun!

I know Kahtoola has talked about making a Flight Sandal that would strap to snowboard, AT and any oversized boots. If they make something like that, it would not be available untill next season.

As far as the durabilty or performance of the crampon feature on the Flight Boots, the cleats are hardened stainless steel just like the cleats on MSR snowshoes. They are also about the same length as most snowshoe cleats.

The Flight Boots also offer more traction than using the "modified" fore-foot crampon integrated with the MSR shoe (or any snowshoe)... it's way more secure having cleats on both your toes and heels!

Why would someone go straight from running shoes to snowshoes? How much support can I expect from just my softboot's liner? And I have to take my foot out of the liner to stuff it back into a cold stiff shell? Sounds real fun especially in the "deep stuff". Or hike in my sneakers and then put my feet into a pair of boots that have been outside for hours. Sweet!
Or just ride down with the sneaks on... I think I should stop.
Would still have to carry a set of ultralight crampons anyways.
My grandpa would call the bootie thing a "rubber with studs".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:07 am 

3snowboards wrote:
Quote:
Why would someone go straight from running shoes to snowshoes? How much support can I expect from just my softboot's liner? And I have to take my foot out of the liner to stuff it back into a cold stiff shell? Sounds real fun especially in the "deep stuff". Or hike in my sneakers and then put my feet into a pair of boots that have been outside for hours. Sweet!
Or just ride down with the sneaks on... I think I should stop.
Would still have to carry a set of ultralight crampons anyways.
My grandpa would call the bootie thing a "rubber with studs".

To answer your question... replacing the traditional snowshoe set-up of a heavy,insulated snow type boot, a gaitor and maybe a traction device (i.e. crampon) along with a lightweight strap-on snowshow is the goal with the Flight System. A traditional set-up is heavy, expensive and a pain to put on and off. With The Flight Boot design allowing you to go from your "running shoes to snowshoes", it offers an easy-to-use, light weight and less expensive alternative.

I think you haven't caught onto the Flight System concept. The idea is based around that most people using snowshoes also have purchased some type of heavy, insulated footwear to use with them. They also have purchased gaitors to use along with their snow specific footwear. The more savey snowshoer also owns a light crampon for firm/icy conditions and will use both when appropiate.

The Flight Boot lets users use their own sneakers, trail runners or light hikers (which all people already own and like to wear) to use as their primary footwear. The over-shoe design allows for protection and insulation from the snow and cold and also seals off the cuff like a gaitor. It also has a ratcheting strap system that gives added support. With the cleats you can rely on the boot alone as traction on firm snow or ice. When the snow gets deep, step into the Flight Deck without having to deal with straps and get the float needed to hike efficiently.

The Flight System is currently not designed for snowboard boots or any type of over-sized snow boot, but as I stated the "trick" is to use your liners. I know this proccess is a pain, but it works! And the support with using the boots in conjunction with your liners is equal to or better than a traditional set-up.

Untill Kahtoola developes a Flight Sandal it's probaly not something to look at using right now, but it's good to know that this product is in existance and it answers the posted question! :D