Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:55 am 

Hello friends,

For those who know me, you know this is a subject that I'm interested in.

BC Rider: your boot choice evolution reminds me of my own a number of years ago. The tendency toward a hard boot is the most logical choice.

Cons: You don't get that soft, surfy feel with a hard boot. Also, many people have comfort issues. Post hole-ing is excentuated with the smaller sole but that's why we're on splitboards to begin with-NO MORE POST HOLE-ING!

Pros: The use of plate bindings both on the snowboards and crampons is superior to soft bindings. MUCH less weight, way lower "fiddle" factor, less bulk, etc.

I've finally found a hardboot (semi-hardboot?) that gives me the soft flex but allows plate bindings: (mine are on the left)

The only problem is I have to build them myself. My wife has the Oxygens with an external highback that we riveted on, but only on her front foot.

The Oxygen soles are actually almost too soft to use with plate bindings. She can get away with it because of the small size and she doesn't weight much. The Oxygen will tend to buckle with the bigger sizes when you put them in a plate binding. I know a few guys who use them but I wouldn't trust them farther then gentle powder riding.

My boot is an old Scarpa. This has a VERY stiff sole. I made the leather upper and stitched it on and also added the instep strap. This boot is way too soft for most people.

Wally (Voile owner) and I have talked for a while about building a boot. The concept would be a highbrid between these two in the photo: Stiff plastic sole, soft plastic upper, instep strap, adjustable external highback, thermofit liner. I don't see it happening very soon unfortunately. Wally has taken on the task of building his own cores for the boards and skis. This was a huge effort. Maybe the boots will be next.

By the way, Wally has a pair of stock Oxygens as well as a pair of Koflach Superpipes that he uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:44 am 

bcrider wrote:
Apparently they did refine the upper lock this year to be less exposed and protruding. I guess the sled crowd would break theirs from riding on the sled.

I've been waiting for the stores to get some of these boots to check out.
I have to get some new boot to wear this year.

If they really did redesign for sledding, which I doubt. Its more because the protruding style lace around may rip your seat cover, or get caught on something. When you're boondocking into the pow you don't sit on the seat much. You're jumping from side to side to steer the sled in the deep pow. HMK is a company that makes snowmobiling boots and the guy that started the company comes from working in the snowboard industry. All his boots are very similar to boarding boots but w/ eye holes in the boots for the laces. He also has a couple BOA options too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:23 am 

cowboy wrote:
Wally (Voile owner) and I have talked for a while about building a boot. The concept would be a highbrid between these two in the photo: Stiff plastic sole, soft plastic upper, instep strap, adjustable external highback, thermofit liner. I don't see it happening very soon unfortunately. Wally has taken on the task of building his own cores for the boards and skis. This was a huge effort. Maybe the boots will be next.

Please do!! It would be huge. Have you seen this design of a hybrid plate binding with highback & instep strap? It seems like a great solution & BCD has used it for some ballsy descents.

Maybe it would be easy to just contract with Koflach or Scarpa to make some boots to spec with a high cuff, stiff tongue, and Voile label.

*edit* PS - Here are the modified Oxygens that BCD used in his setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:53 am 

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting.
Bolt a clicker on the bottom for safety, while yer at it cantcha?

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:38 pm 

ricorides--If you are lamenting the disappearance of the clicker HB, not the clicker flat, the HB is alive and well and "lighter." google shimano & snowboard. you have to buy them from Australia this year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:45 pm 

Cowboy - not to flog a dead horse, but I'll be wearing Periwinkle boots with neon orange accents this season. Not because I like those colors, but because no one has made snowboard mountaineering boots since 1992!!!

And here is a compendium of Frankenboots created by snowboard mountaineers turned cobblers because no one has made snowboard mountaineering boots since 1992!!!

BCD:

powder_tracker

Benoit Labrosse

iw

Stefan

Cowboy & Wife

BCR

I'm sure you know a lot more stats about the growth of backcountry snowboarding than I do. Is the sport big enough and growing fast enough to accomodate a specialized boot? I guess the Driver X / Malamutes go in that direction, but they aren't mountaineering boots. It seems like there is a market waiting for this product and that the first mover will grab it. Thanks.