Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Irrelevant & Dubious Innovation - Involves Duct Tape
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:08 pm 

This innovation is irrelevant because it involves surfing and dubious because you would probably never want to do it. But I know there are some duct tape fans out there, so I thought I'd post it...

Some newbie surfers have been known to strap surfboards on their car roofs with the nose forward and the fins back. Perhaps they were inspired by the 'Big Kahuna' out of St. Louis, MO:

Or maybe it was this authentic surf ride:

I think Surfer Magazine even mentioned the nose forward configuration as the more aerodynamic choice a few years ago.

I would guess that they didn't do any modeling or wind tunnel testing to support their claim, which I don't necessarily believe. But even if it were the case, it isn't much of an excuse for driving around like a dork with your surfboard strapped on backwards.

Every real surfer knows that the fin-forward configuration has been used since time immemorial and is the true and proper way to strap a board to a car.

Whereever you stand on this issue, however, you would be hard pressed to find much support for this configuration:

I was in Hawaii last week with a 7'6" Becker, six bungie cords, a roll of duct tape, a rented Jeep Laredo, my wife, and her two aunts.

I thought that between the bungie cords and the tape, I'd have no trouble finding a way to attach the board to the roof so that we could cruise the Big Island with four people in the car. To my horror, I discovered that the Jeep's roof rack doesn't include crossbars, and they were totally unavailable.

I rolled two hotel hand towels around the roof racks and duct taped them in place. I placed the board on the towels athwartships, rather than in the usual fore-and-aft configuration. Note that I angled the leading edge of the board downward so that the airflow would tend to pressure the board onto the roof, rather than into the air. Also, I removed the fins to keep the board from swinging sideways.

I had to tweak the bungie cord hooks a little to get them to fit around the racks. I was able to find a configuration in which all three bungie cord sizes fit snugly. It is hard to tell, but the white bungies are longer and the cross over the width of the car.

After careful testing at lower speeds, I felt totally confident driving all over the island at speeds of up to 70 MPH and never had any safety-related issues.

One fringe benefit of the athwartships configuration is that it turned my car in to a travelling humor-mobile, spreading mirth throughout the Big Island. Several times a day I would notice someone literally fall to the ground in laughter as I cruised past.

But it worked!

Legal Disclaimer - The author confesses to being border-line retarded. If you follow this example with drastic consequences, you have only yourself to blame for accepting such bad advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:43 pm 

What about the speed required to take flight? Do you have enough surface area outside the Laredo to allow enough lift to become airborne at say 50 m.p.h.? I always thought my ultimate dream surf vehicle would be this

But after seeing what you have done, Im looking for a Laredo as we speak. Im thinking of going to a 12 foot paddleboard as the wing. I think that will allow me more fuel range and that way I should be able to make it to Tahiti on one tank full. Premium of course

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:55 pm 

Ha! I think the flight ceiling on the Laredo was around 13,800 feet. Not sure about the Catalinas...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:42 am 

I can live with 13, 000. We could land on the Hotlam ridge and skin up 1100 feet and wala, we are on top of Shasta. We can show an in flight movie like touching the void. Nice