Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:14 pm 

Those sandals hydration pacs look super sweet, especially the widepac with the ability to open the entire top for cleaning....anyone have any experience w/ this model? It states 100% leak proof, just doesn't look that way!

I've been happily using the MSR bladder for about a year. My only guff w/ it is you really need to rank on the lid and give the bladder a couple of good squeezes to make sure it doesn't leak. I had about 60 oz. of peach cytosport leak out on Rainier this summer from it....so fortunate it was on the way down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:28 pm 

The sandals, as opposed to the hydration systems, are not cheap here at all... They are reputably quite good though, I know several people who use them for hiking even with heavy packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:39 pm 

I ordered a pair of the H20 model online for my wife and I this fall. Free shipping for orders over $40. They arrived in a big, hand-addressed envelope from Israel!

They are definitely well made and I haven't had a leakage problem yet, even with 40 lbs of gear sitting on top of them. The one annoyance so far is that the opening on that model is pretty narrow so it is hard to fill under some circumstances.

Due to lack of snow I haven't had it out in freezing conditions yet, so I can't comment on whether the insulated hose works well. It's covered with more of a braid than a foam. Hopefully it will work out this season. If not, I may join Ecobrad in the Nalgene camp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:54 pm 

Yoda wrote:
Deuter offers the same model here in the US at $25/3l & $23/2l. http://www.deuter.com/cms/front_content ... ucts_id=45

The $20 is for the 3 liter widepac based on today's conversion rates. The dollar is at a low though, so it's normally more like $18.

Quote:
Can you get any of the these models (i.e. H2O or Wraptank)? These models are no longer available here in the US and I'm due for a replacement.
http://www.source-vagabond.com/a-hsystems7.html

I found the 2l wraptank for about $25 and a 3l for about $27. Didn't see any h2o online.

Quote:
Can you also get any replacement bladders for their hydration systems?

I didn't find anything online but I'll look in a meat-space store soon. I think I saw some.

I am rather happy with the camelbak (:oops:) so I don't really know their products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:01 pm 

bcrider wrote:
I'll take you up on that since you'll be in our neck of the woods. :)

:D

Quote:
In general I like bladders…just not ones with tubes. More trouble than they are worth for sure. I like my backpack and its contents not soaked in Gatorade thank you.

Not really a fan of Nalgene bottles either (except on an overnighter) because they only hold a liter and don't compress once you've drank your liquid.

I use the msr platypus bottles, and I was thinking of getting one of those by nalgene with a wide mouth - should be useful for stashing food too, since they're wide mouthed and clear.

Does anybody have any experience with those?

Quote:
I use the 4L Hydromedary bag from MSR. It's nice to be able to carry up to a full gallon of water if I need to and then just an empty sack when it's empty. It'll be nice to upgrade to the more durable and better tasting Source bladder.

They don't come that large... Is that wraptank that Yoda talked about good? If so I'll order 4-5 and maybe keep one for myself.

Quote:
I'm not really a sipper so this method of not using a tube works great. I drink a bunch of water right before I leave the trailhead and then I really don't need any more for 1-2hrs. This method could get you into trouble if you aren't already well hydrated.

I have a german hiking mate who is used to that, but I think it just doesn't scale well enough in our climate (on multiday hikes I carry about 7l/person/day). This reminds me that I promised to buy her one for our desert hike next week. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:03 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I ordered a pair of the H20 model online for my wife and I this fall. Free shipping for orders over $40. They arrived in a big, hand-addressed envelope from Israel!

They are definitely well made and I haven't had a leakage problem yet, even with 40 lbs of gear sitting on top of them. The one annoyance so far is that the opening on that model is pretty narrow so it is hard to fill under some circumstances.

Due to lack of snow I haven't had it out in freezing conditions yet, so I can't comment on whether the insulated hose works well. It's covered with more of a braid than a foam. Hopefully it will work out this season. If not, I may join Ecobrad in the Nalgene camp.

The braided cover is for preventing UV light from penetrating the hose, preventing any "grunge" build-up on the inside... the hose does not have the same "anti-grunge" technology as the bladders. The cover offers no insulating value.

If you need to insulate it, I would recomend this - http://www.deuterusa.com/tubeinsulator.html
It's made to accommodate the Source bite-valve. I have this cover and it works great! :D
If it's really cold out, you can stick a disposable toe-warmer into the cover and further insulate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:13 pm 

Yoda wrote:
The braided cover is for preventing UV light from penetrating the hose, preventing any "grunge" build-up on the inside... the hose does not have the same "anti-grunge" technology as the bladders. The cover offers no insulating value.

If you need to insulate it, I would recomend this - http://www.deuterusa.com/tubeinsulator.html
It's made to accommodate the Source bite-valve. I have this cover and it works great! :D
If it's really cold out, you can stick a disposable toe-warmer into the cover and further insulate it.

Thanks, Yoda! It's nice to have the king of all gear knowledge helping us out on sb.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:10 am 

So,

Time to buy, because I'm flying out on Feb 10th.

Who wants what?

I can mail from CT, or I can hand em off to bcrider around March 20th if all goes as planned.

Cheers,

WRT payment -- paypal is cool, as is an IOU for a beer or somesuch if/when we ever cross paths.

Post subject: I use both MSR and Camel Bak
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:49 pm 

I have had a lot of luck with my hiking/mountaineering with my MSRs. I use the small dromedaries. The trick is getting the lids really sealed, sometimes they tend to cross thread and leak like hell. Like someone else said, put some pressure on it to ensrue it does not leak and you should be set. Their tubing is fine and the bite valves are a bit harder to activate, so this could be better if you are that tough on your bladder.

Same good results with my camelbaks. I like the stealth bladders that have a baffle system. I used them in various situations while in the military and from a tactical standpoint I liked how the stayed where I put them and did not shift around.

My DIY MOD two cents comes when you have a bladder/tubing/valve leak is this: I have sealed some leaky connectors with epoxy. This works great, but makes cleaning them a bit tougher. Then you just use some denture cleaning tablets in the bladder and tubing to get all the funk out. Yes, I'm old, but no I do not have dentures. These effervescent cleaning tablest really are cheaper than the ones sold by camelbak and work great.

Now my configuration recommendation for those of you with freezing issues. Get a very flat (low profile) version, like the afore mentioned camelbak stealth varieties. Wear this under your shell. Even with a pack on it should not be any more cumbersome, I have done this and it works for me. Then run your tubing under your arm and to a chest vent zip in your jacket front. Get a simple clip like some work type badges with the oval holes through which a clear plastic tab passes and snaps to the opposing side. Take two of these (to reach around the tubing diameter) and then snap it close to your chest vent. Now to take a drink in the absolute freezing cold you merely have to open your vent and grab your valve. If it leaks here it leaks onto your currently in use shirt which likely has some sweat already vice in your pack soaking all your spare layer or being exposed and freezing.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT