Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Modifying Koflach's for snowboarding
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:26 pm 

On a recent trip to Jackson, I met a guy in the tram line who was riding in a pair of Koflachs (Artis Expes i think). When hiking steep stuff in the backcountry, soft boots sometimes just don't cut it. I already own a pair of Koflach Vertecals but would never think of using them to snowboard in (cuff height too short, not enough support, etc.). This guy showed me how he threw in a thermo ski liner and added a higher cuff for the extra support.

Anyone out there ride in Koflachs? Any ideas on how make my Koflachs more suitable for snowboarding? I've got a pair of Scarpa T2 tele boots, and the thermo liner fits well in my koflachs, and if i could somehow outfit my koflachs with a beefier cuff like the one from my T2's or other similar AT/tele boot, i think i would be all set. I would plan on using them with my current standard strap bindings, unless someone could convinve me that i could get away with a voile mtn. plate or similar binding. I just tore my MCL and ACL, so i've got plenty of time on my hands now to mess around with my gear...

Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 am 

Obligatory fassnor's yellow boot pic in response to Koflach question:

The "Search" feature is your friend.

:wink:

Post subject: koflachs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:58 pm 

Great question, and nice pink board (used to be mine) :D

In the early 90s lots of us rode in koflachs in both soft and plate binders. We used the koflach superpipe, later called oxygen, which was the Viva Soft with a taller cuff and liner. Back then we did several things:
1. used the Granite Gear tele cuffs, which were stiff plastic gaiters wrapped in cordura nylon. If you can find a pair.
2. used the burton 3 strap binder (I used the third strap in the front foot, and only two straps in the back). I've seen people make a "power strap" for their highback
3. put in a taller thermo liner, which you know about already.
4. bought goodwill ski boots (cabers worked best) that have a separate articulating cuff and use that cuff to stiffen the flex. if you can find them.
5. If you haven't already bought Koflachs, check this website for beta on the La Sportive Nupse: taller and stiffer than Koflach. These work much better in plate bindings. Great boot for riding splitboard in plates. My fav.
6. If you're using Voile Mt. Plates, you can solve most of the issue using AT boots with a soft flex.
Hope that helps. CV