Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Diamond STS Tail Kit?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:52 pm 

Just bought my wife a Khyber split for Christmas and I'm looking at the skin set-up. Anybody ever use Black Diamond's STS Tail Kit on a split set-up?

I know a tail clip isn't necessary but, as a skier, I can't imagine skinning without one.

Any input?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:20 pm 

Couple of thoughts.

1) I added an STS kit to my wife's old Ascension skins. They stick real good now, and they were easier to trim, too. She has AT skis.

2) It was a pain in the ass to install the kit. But it didn't cost much!

3) You'd need to notch the board to make this happen, and that would mean slicing through a 48R hardness edge, which massively increases the odds of an edge compression trashing the board, and will require a carbide bit unless you want to ruin a tool. Alternatively, you might be able to weld tabs onto the edge, say, on either side of where you want the clip to seat. At least then you wouldn't wreck the edge. But you'd change the temper.

Number 3 is the one I'd worry about :-). I think that's why the only tip-and-tail mods I have seen were Burton-style, "little teeth" mods. Clearly the STS system is as good as it gets -- but do you really want to trash your wife's Khyber's edge just to get a little extra skinning security?

Like I said, I added the STS kit to my wife's skins and she loves it. Meanwhile, I spent all last season skinning with the shittiest, most beat-up old SD skins evar. Guess who spent 30+ days on the snow and who spent about 5 days? :-) I got real good at debriding snow/ice balls from the tips of my skins (the tails never seemed to come up, FWIW). And towards late spring/early summer I started duct taping the tips on long ascents. No more snowballing and still no tails coming off. These skins were BEAT.

So, which is more important -- the board's edge, or the skins' security?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:16 pm 

I think a tail attachment is just as important on a splitboard as it is on a ski. When skins are brand new, the tail attachment isn't as necessary. But even with new skins I ran into some frustration last week.
So here is my latest idea. I tried it out today, and it seems to work well. I can even remove the skins without taking my skis off.
I just drilled a hole that was wide enough to fit the tail clip (and lost a little topsheet in the process. Oops). No need to cut through the edge, and it keeps the tail clip in place....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:33 pm 

Nice mod.
I agree that some sort of tail clip is important. I have used the sts's on a normal split. It slips down a bit (b/c of the tail curve, and can cause the skin to bunch) but basically works. On long days in sloppy conditions tail clips are essential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:29 pm 

bcd wrote:
I just drilled a hole that was wide enough to fit the tail clip (and lost a little topsheet in the process. Oops). No need to cut through the edge, and it keeps the tail clip in place....

That is an awesome idea! I'm going to try drilling two small holes and using a jigsaw on my deck, and will post pics if the results are anything special. But this is a great way to get around the edge issue.

Looks like I will be buying a second STS kit, after all :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:57 am 

Idea #2.

What about the tip hardware from BCA... assuming your skins are long enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:47 pm 

The STS kit is really swell because you can adjust the length of the tail easily, and the tip is much lower profile (more skin exposed). I think that's why a lot of skiers started asking for it as a kit :-)

Just my observations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:13 pm 

BCA Tip Loops work nicely.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9420&stc=1&d=1136866328

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:15 am 

Looks sweet!

My concwern is, my skins dont come near that close to the tail of my board....i guess id have to go with the STS kit, but me likey the BCA more.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:29 pm 

OK now I get it, using them for the tail attachment. No drilling required. Cool.

Do they catch on icy bits or get in the way?[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:13 pm 

yo slim,
where didja get/what did you use for the metal piece folded around the skin that crush rivets go through. it's not in the pic of the bca kit, and it's the one part not sitting in my workroom.
just curious, that method looks pretty nice for the tail clip on a split. the only challenge would be for folks whose skins end well before the tip.
thanks,
david

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:34 pm 

slim wrote:

Bump, because I want to know if anyone in the Wasatch has done this modification?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:13 pm 

dishwasher-dave wrote:
yo slim,
where didja get/what did you use for the metal piece folded around the skin that crush rivets go through. it's not in the pic of the bca kit, and it's the one part not sitting in my workroom.

Those pieces come in the BCA Tip Loop kit available at REI. The stuff in the photo isn't what actually comes in the kit.