Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: reshaping from all camber to early rise??? Is it possible?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 pm 

So I decided to go ahead with repressing a different board. It happens to be the board that had the backwards laid up core with the million inserts in it. To say this board had camber was a bit of an understatement. 7-8 on the stiffness ranking. Since it was laid up backwards, the nose is stiffer than the tail. Especially since I swallowed the tail to boot. Lots of pop and pretty good edge hold. This deck loves to turn with the standard 8 meter radius I believe. Also the base hulls out a little bit with the K clips installed. Since it was a manufactured split, no cutting or core prep necessary.

Nose already complete, I also did the tail.

Pic from the side reveals a successful nose rocker addition.

Did I mention this deck had mega camber....Even the rockered nose has a little camber left as I didn't repress all the way through the tip....

Time to test her out

Laying this deck on a flat surface revealed the mega camber was decreased to half of original height (which was a huge win considering it peaked at around 1 full inch originally :shock: ). The point of nose rocker to the tip laid flat on the floor. Of course when weighted the nose rose above the floor at the point of rocker. The tail rocker was a bit more successful in that the tail rose above the floor from the point of rocker unweighted.

So after testing...I found the hulled middle area of the deck acted like a boat hull in the hardpack, variable, and spring conditions. Initiating turns was effortless and very quick compared to my carbon solution. On the hardpack and slow areas at the top of the lift, The board acted like a fully rockered deck, turned easily, tracked straight due to hull effect, no catchy edges, and had the suspension feeling of the cambered mid section. On the runs which consisted of icy washed out sections, hardpacked groomers, chop and spring slush, the board handled everything with ease.

I wouldn't make a habit out of doing this to any deck. It really is not a perfect science, but fun doing and learning new things along the way. I was lucky in turning a deck that would've gone unridable/unsellable into something truly fun and not a shabby #2 deck for days I'm not planning on straightlining my lines. It took me a few runs in fact to get used to my carbon solution after riding this deck and realized how much of a charger it really is. Two very different boards and fun for very different riding styles.