Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dakine Heli Pro II + ABS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:55 pm 

I have one of the older ABS backpacks, which uses the ABS system in a 30l Deuter backpack. The backpack is very uncomfortable and very poorly designed IMHO. There are also no attachments points for Snowboard, only possibly compactable poles.
I also have one old Dakine Heli Pro II backpack which is one of the most comfortable and durable backpacks I have used. It's 20l, which is more or less the usable volume of the Deuter with the ABS system.

I hate to pay $1000 for a new backpack, because I already have working base system and the system is dead simple. 2 bags, 3 tubes 2 valves and the bottle/trigger. I refuse to believe that this costs $900

So I went to my local stitching genius, showed him the original backpack, told him about the purpose of the thing and what I want and here is the result:

Post subject: Re: Dakine Heli Pro II + ABS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:52 pm 

Bitchin'! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:51 pm 

This is one of the radest things that I've seen on this forum.

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:48 am 

Really impressive. I tell you what, some of the innovation I see from splitboarders is just so cool and progressive. Great to see people not afraid to step up and make it happen. Nice work!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:58 pm 

Would you be willing to do a breakdown of parts and process? That is amazing and I'd like to do the exact same thing instead of drop the coin for a new one. That's been my hesitation up until now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:21 am 

Parts needed - one old ABS backpack or just the ABS base system and one old (new) backpack to put the system in.

This is the kind of pack I started with (random pick of TGR):
http://members.iinet.com.au/~walshtj/abs/ABSoutside.jpg

This is the inside:
http://members.iinet.com.au/~walshtj/ab ... atures.jpg

Most of the space is taken by the ABS system. The only pockets are on the cover. Very poor design for extended tours.
The pockets for the bags are semi external - half of the bag resides inside the main compartments, held by some web. The bags are attached to the pockets by a steel rod that goes through a set of loops on the bag and in the pocket, just as on the 3rd picture in the OP. The rod is removable, so once you remove it, you just have to unscrew the valve that holds the tube to the bag to remove it.

I went to a guy I know, who stitches stuff for film props and has experience with high load designs. I showed him the original pack, explained to him how it works and what happens. I asked him of make completely external pockets for the Dakine that are the same design - velcro for closing, loops to hold the bags with the same steel rods.
The pockets are stitched at three or four places to the pack, so it would have to completely disintegrate to forcefully detach the bags from the pockets/bag.

I can't find pictures of the naked ABS system and I am travelling agh the moment and my pack is fully loaded, so I will take pictures (I will!) in 1 or 2 weeks. Until then, the best I could find is
http://assets.outdoorgearlab.com/photos ... 3314_L.jpg

The spiky thing where the canister goes stays in the main compartment. The tube for the trigger goes through the camelback opening in the shoulder strap. It's perfect for this!

With the trigger:

The tubes for the bags go through cuts in the Dakine pack, as seen in the OP.

This is the pack fully loaded. It looks huge, because of the external pockets, but I measured it and it is 50x45x28cm. I can take it as a hand luggage on European flights. I will try to get a scale to weight it only with the ABS system.

I lost the vertical snowboard carry :( The straps go over the bag pockets and are not long enough. I could extend them, but the bags would be undeployable, and there is always a chance that an avalanche can start, while you approach. When I am bag from Gulmarg in March I will visit my guy again to ask him to move the straps.
I also lost the external shovel/probe carry the Dakine had, as it is under one of the bag pockets. I am not sure if there is a practical way to make a new external one. Maybe I will do an internal one, as in the blue thing in the original Deuter pack.

I will reiterate that for me the prices of avalanche safety bag packs are ridiculous and are such only because people consider this to be extremely valuable (which it is) piece of equipment and are willing to pay the asked price rather than not to have it. The bill of materials, sans canister and actual pack can't get even to $100...

Same goes with avalanche beacons. I can build the 457 transmitter for about $15. The search mode is a bit more involved and while the parts would be another 15$, the development time would be a few weeks. This is a planned summer project BTW. I want to build a basic 3 antenna open source software/open source hardware beacon, that costs less than $50 to assemble with battery, case and everything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:50 pm 

Thank you!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:57 am 

This is everything the ABS system is: