Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing Inside Edge...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:26 pm 

Soooo, I've split a few boards with decent success. I've always left the inside edge alone- other than sanding/filing, and then sealing it with Varathane. This has proven to work well over time.

That being said, I'd like to try to install inside egdes on some splits and I'm hoping someone can tell/show/direct me to the process. Explanations, pics, good links, any advice appreciated! :headbang:

I've been searching/reading on the forum and throughout the Web, but have only seen a handful of examples... any one had much luck with this yet?!

Cheers, Carlos

Rentals*Sales*Custom Splits

http://www.centerpunchsplitboards.com

Post subject: Re: Installing Inside Edge...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:24 pm 

Pretty straight forward if you are handy with tools.

First of all measure up the edge you are using so you know how wide and deep the actual edge is. Use a micrometer tool and make sure you can get it to at least 0.1mm accuracy, thats all you should need no more acurate is needed as the rest of the process is still a lot "looser". The edge I use is 2mm deep and 2.2 wide, plus the tines / teeth go in about 7mm sideways.

So to start with I cut the board and tidy up the cut if necessary.

Route a 2mm deep x 2.2mm wide rebate into the inside bottom of the board that takes the main part of the edge.

Using a oscillating cutter tool like this [url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1JiQP298OU‎[/url] , the wonder "renovator tool" (I swore I'd never buy one of those POS until I worked out it was the ideal tool!) and using a bi-metal cutter, with the board bottom side up, cut the slot for the edge teeth/tines. Carefully allowing the cutter to sit on the rebate and allowing it to cut into the board under the base material, cut a slot deep enough for the tines/teeth to slot into.

You might find some insert steel, avoid cutting it as it will bugger up your bi-metal blade.

Keep clearing the cut as you go and don't let heat build up. Keep the blade in line with the base so the slot is parallel with the bottom of the board. Use several passes not one deep pass or heat will build up and damage the base plastic.

Takes me 15 minutes per side to do this.

Then with compressed air blow out the residual dust and clear the slot with a blunt object like a broken hacksaw blade.

Test fit the edge and if necessary do further cutting and cleaning out with the blades and air.

Epoxy your edge in using high strength araldite or epoxy what ever you use for your DIY inserts is fine, and clamp the board against a straight edge with lots of clamps to keep the edge firmly in the slot. I use the inside 90 degree angle of a piece of heavy ali angle to keep the edge straight both sideways and flush with the base too, comes out dead straight and flush too. Mould release wax the ali angle first so it doesn't stick to the board.

Tidy up on the sanding belt once finished as you would expect to!

Hope this helps any questions let me know, I have done several this way and its quite effective and very durable and makes for a much better DIY.

cheers
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:59 am 

@ center punch
sorry - you are kiding me ? this are the Basics for a competence custom splitboard shop.

cheers bURTON

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:02 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:31 am 

There are multiple ways to do it. I have a pictorial on here somewhere of me using a router with a fixture built on it. first using a burr to cut the base away , then a small circlar saw to cut into the wood for the fins.
My advice is to go slow as ritchie stated and only really need the edge to go past where the board profile starts to rocker, after that it only adds weight and harder to cut clean.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:29 pm 

vapor wrote:
There are multiple ways to do it. I have a pictorial on here somewhere of me using a router with a fixture built on it. first using a burr to cut the base away , then a small circlar saw to cut into the wood for the fins.
My advice is to go slow as ritchie stated and only really need the edge to go past where the board profile starts to rocker, after that it only adds weight and harder to cut clean.

yeah agreed forgot to mention that too, I normally end the edge somewhere near where the tip and tail rise starts, just near the chinese hooks, too damn hard to go around the radius and yeah really unnecessary.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:40 pm 

Short piece of edge is plenty, just between the bindings is enough, saves weight as well. I would also use skinny edge material here, again to save weight as the inside edge does not take a lot of abuse.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:32 pm 

Sorry barrows, have to disagree. On uptrack yes it mainly does the job between the binding but for more advanced splitsking down icy downtracks you need it to go past the camber so the length depends on the board profile. plus both edges take equal abuse in that mode.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:55 pm 

Vapor: never had any problems in many days on my Chimera, take a look at their inner edges. I use the sidecut edge as the inner edge when split skiing, and I do not try to run gates or anything when split skiing.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:37 pm 

For mellow powder it doesn't matter,you get on a three foot wide variable pitch off camber bullet downtrack with trees(Connaught drainage gets so much traffic its the rule not the exception) that extra control is nice to have.
Were always going to be outskied by the skiers on the downtrack but i've tried to limit the time gap with the ski partners.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 am 

can someone lead me to a source for these edges? I have not seen anyone divulge a source for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:15 am 

nevermind I found them! about to attempt this project myself. fuck a 850$ split

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:33 pm 

Check out Prowder.com they do this for a fare price.