Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile DIY vs Universal Pucks with Sparks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:37 am 

Planning on splitting a new Charlie Slasher with the ABS core insert. I have spark magneto bindings and would like to use the Voile DIY pucks with the sticker templates (simple and easy). However, I read a thread awhile back where someone had issues centering their binding on the board after following the sticker template. I wanted to revisit this topic and get the forum's opinion on whether I should use the DIY pucks (no moving pieces) or if I should drill a factory insert pattern an use the universal pucks for use with Spark bindings. I have built 2 DIY splits before. One with an insert pattern for some Karakorams and one with a factory insert pattern. I would prefer to use the DIY pucks this time. My only concern is getting the correct toe/heel overhang on the board. Thoughts...???? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Voile DIY vs Universal Pucks with Sparks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 pm 

The best thing that you can do is to pre fit the bindings on the board before you drill. If the binding doesn't line up, adjust as necessary before you drill.

Keep in mind though if you ever switch bindings or sell the board, it will only work with magnetos or afterburners

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:59 am 

Chair2BoardSports wrote:

Keep in mind though if you ever switch bindings or sell the board, it will only work with magnetos or afterburners

Why shouldn't such a setup work with slider tracks?

What I did on my DIY is move the pucks about 1cm (0.8 inches) toward the yor side and adjusted the foot in the binding accordingly. That way the pivot for touring is more in the front and you won't interfere with the board in touring mode.

Hope this helps.

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:41 am 

I like using the DIY pucks better than the universal.. The reason is.... once they are t-bolted and epoxy filled, you dont have to fiddle with the pucks. The universal tend to slide after much use, its no big deal... refit and tighten up. Less holes are drilled through the board with the DIY pucks too