Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Rockered Splits on the Cheap

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rockered Splits on the Cheap
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:09 am 

So a couple of years ago I snapped my split and stumbled upon the 5150 stoke. I picked the first deck up for $100. The deck has a flat base between the feet and then rockered tip. It's also a real twin, which is nice as a freestyle deck. It actually turned out to be a really good deck. I got about 60 days out of the first before the heel edge plank cracked, under the touring bracket, the usual place. I got another 10-20 days out of it before it got too sloppy at about the same time the holes on one of my plates wore through. I got them welded, but realized it was time for a whole new set up. As it turns out you can still get the deck so I picked up another for $150 online this summer. Got a new Volie kit for $150 so the all new board cost $300 including shipping. [img]/Users/Shared/IMG_7159.jpg[/img].
As for the skins I picked up a couple pairs of old BD skins off ebay for $20 a pair, sewed them together, which gave me about a 170mm wide skin so I have true edge to edge coverage for about $50. They've lasted for about 8 years so far. Throw in some old bindings (those are '95 K2 freerides w/o backs in the pic, the most comfortable binding ever) and the whole set up for under $400. Yea not a nice as factory, but considering they all break in about a year and a half anyway...
Word of advice on the cut. I used a battery powered skill saw this time and it is the worst cut I've ever had (this is my seventh DIY deck). Not sure if it was the slow speed of the saw or the blade but it wanted to wander badly and took three batteries to finish the job. [img]/Users/Shared/IMG_7136.jpg[/img]. Next time I'm borrowing my neighbors saw. (Sorry if the pics don't work, not sure on how to upload them)