Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2009 Burton Custom X with ICS channel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:22 pm 

I'm about to start on my first 'real' DIY split, a 164 wide 09 Burton Custom X with the ICS channel, camber...anyway, I'm trying to do this right (w/o breaking the bank, so no water jet). While I've seen some of the threads on ripping the channel I'm still just a bit nervous. I've ordered http://www.freudtools.com/p-16-thin-ker ... amine.aspx blade for my buddy's table saw that we'll rip it on, he's a mechanical engineer and experienced splitter so I'm glad to have that help with building a jig. Any tips or tricks that I should be aware of when splitting the ICS? (I've watched pretty much all the videos I online I could find and lurked around here for a while looking for ICS and Burton Channel threads). Will be updating with pics next week after it gets ripped.

Post subject: Re: 2009 Burton Custom X with ICS channel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:43 am 

Finally got around to splitting the board tonight. The 10" 80t Freud was well worth the investment. Got a very nice straight cut down both boards. CustomX 164 and Signal Park Series 157. First urethane coats applied. More to come.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:43 am 

That looks really nice. I am on the final phase of splitting my first board and I will say your cut looks perfect. I wish I was dealing with the channel vs 3d.

The rest is a piece of cake. Good luck, have fun and more importantly buy better beer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:17 am 

figuring out stance and insert pattern, decided to go with pucks so I could make adjustments if I decide to later

marking for drilling inserts for pucks

laying out touring inserts

holes drilled and counter sunk; used a forstner bit for the counter, the first 2 for the touring brackets nears ripped all the way through to the top sheet. Burton used a really soft wood between the bindings that is like a sponge so I had to be very careful drilling (wish I had known, oh well).

you can see the carbon i-beam stingers, in the next 2 you can see that it appears the carbon i-beam is only running down the right half of the board

next diy split i'm also going to work on my drilling accuracy better and/or use a press (here with carbon i-beam)

no carbon i-beam, same inserts pattern, same distances, but no carbon present. odd

inserts in and brought inside for the night to let the gflex cure at room temp. also put some hardware on to make sure things are still lining up.

gflex cured and things seem to be lining up ok

removed the touring bracket as I've decided I'm going to go out and pick up a pair of Spark LT Blazes and use the Voile hardware on the Signal split for a buddy

fresh wax

really can't wait to get out on this coming off other hand-me-down diy splits that weight a ton, this Custom X is insanely light weight

Had a hell of a time with the k-clips, from bolts stripping and having to drill out and re-tap the clips to lining up the holes using karakoram, then voile, then diy templates and still had to make some small mods to get the clips to fit snug but not too tight. Also like I mentioned earlier Burton used a really soft wood, aspen?, in some places that was sketchy to drill into and also has me a little concerned about it being exposed when touring. The pro-tip, while nice, wasn't considered when installing the tip clips so the rivet is a little jacked up. I used inserts that I drilled out of a really old broken park board and then cleaned up (with fire, wire brush and sand paper) for my inserts. A good learning project and sick board considering I was able to get it for free and just had to repair a dinged edge. Maiden voyage should be in a couple days, probably Berthoud or Jones Pass.