Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rail Dimensions?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:24 pm 

Hello all, I am the Lostsheep and this is my first post.

Has anyone retrofitted an old set of bindings by making rails and screwing to the underside like the Light Rails or Spark bindings? Looking at their rails it appears as though it would be fairly easy to duplicate.

Further, does anyone have the dimensions for the rails? Mt first splitboard will not be here for another week or so and I am trying to get a jump on my ideas. I will pull numbers off once I have all of the hardware, but I am impatient so...

Anyways, something like this fastened to the bottom of each binding.

Post subject: Re: Rail Dimensions?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:08 pm 

Hi and welcome Lostsheep.

I have actually made a set. Will post pics and a drawing as soon as I am able to add attatchments to my posts here.

3 things I can say from looking at your CAD model:

The planed screw diameter seem a bit small. Standard Snowboard screws are M6, I went down to M5, M4 might just do it but such a fine threading in aluminium gave me a headache.

The two screws in the middle will have to be further apart, otherwise they'll we really close to the original disc hole.

I only recomend to do this with bindings that have a solid (no holes) metal base plate like the old Ride / Preston or Bent Metal (?) bindings.

I used ONLY the baseplate from these (year 2000 I think):

You can then add heelcups and higghbacks from Drake or Nitro bindings

If the baseplate is full of holes or cutouts it is going to be close to impossible to align the 2 sides, adjust the position of the pivot for touring AND find enough meat to drill holes for the 8 screws.

I can give you one critical dimension: the hight from the surface where the screws go in to the surface that hooks under the Voilé pucks should be pretty exactly 7.2mm. I did 7 and had to shim 'cause it was too tight.

I hope this helps for starters, long post anyway.

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 pm 

Chewbacca wrote:
Hi and welcome Lostsheep.

I have actually made a set. Will post pics and a drawing as soon as I am able to add attatchments to my posts here.

3 things I can say from looking at your CAD model:

The planed screw diameter seem a bit small. Standard Snowboard screws are M6, I went down to M5, M4 might just do it but such a fine threading in aluminium gave me a headache.

The two screws in the middle will have to be further apart, otherwise they'll we really close to the original disc hole.

I only recomend to do this with bindings that have a solid (no holes) metal base plate like the old Ride / Preston or Bent Metal (?) bindings.

I used ONLY the baseplate from these (year 2000 I think):

You can then add heelcups and higghbacks from Drake or Nitro bindings

If the baseplate is full of holes or cutouts it is going to be close to impossible to align the 2 sides, adjust the position of the pivot for touring AND find enough meat to drill holes for the 8 screws.

I can give you one critical dimension: the hight from the surface where the screws go in to the surface that hooks under the Voilé pucks should be pretty exactly 7.2mm. I did 7 and had to shim 'cause it was too tight.

I hope this helps for starters, long post anyway.

Tony

Thanks for the response; I look forward to seeing pics of yours. Any and all advice you can give on what worked and what didn't will undoubtedly save me time. I got my universal adapter kit today and pulled some numbers, the board will be here next week. My plan is to assemble and ride the universal kit before I try to make anything.

I have adjusted the screw size, I had them drawn at 10-32 (my shop's tooling is all in standard so that's how I think) but have changed to 1/4-20. I may go with metric but I don't know yet.

The bindings I plan on using are an old set of aluminum Rides. If adapter rails work and I am happy with their performance, I am going to machine my own bottom piece for the bindings with the rails incorporated directly. That is a ways off but I like to tinker and nothing has ever been perfect from the factory. It would probably be more cost effective to buy a set from Spark but we'll see.

Anyways, since I was asking about dimensions I should probably share my findings for others who stumble across this thread:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:59 pm 

Speaking of dimensions, here is a model that contains basic hardware on board.

You need to get a program called eDrawings, that will get models made with SolidWorks run on your screen for free.

eDrawings is ment for demonstartion purposes, and is a very nice tool for showing parts, assemblies and drawgins.

http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/

You can download the whole model and measure any dimension you want to know with measure tool. Just activate measure tool and click two parallel faces to get distance between faces and so on. You can also click points and edges.

These are all dimensios that i've measured on my own, so they might not be perfectly precise.

Board insert dimensions are from burton freebird.

You can download model here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5224037/foorum ... wings.EASM

Sorry this went little offtopic...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:02 pm 

Just something more,

This is a template that I jused to drill holes for climbing setup, if somebody need one.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5224037/foorum ... mounts.PDF

Hole sizes varies depending your inserts diameter...