Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When getting a water jet cut, be sure to...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:51 pm 

...make sure their laser alignment guide is calibrated/adjusted! Got a board split today and I got to watch/help set up the laser guide. Well the laser guide vs the actual cut was about 3mm off, so the two halves were about a 6mm difference in width. Luckily the cut was perfectly straight down the length of the board, and the board I got is wider than I usually get for my 9.5 boots so it gave me the opportunity to get my hands dirty and get it to exactly the width I'd like, so not a complete loss - and they ended up doing the cut for free.

still... *facepalm*

Post subject: Re: When getting a water jet cut, be sure to...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:07 am 

After cutting something like 30 boards over the past year or two, I def understand the desire for accuracy. Water jets are complex mahines and tolerances are all over the map for what they can work on in the day. I'm sure it was an honest mistake by the calibrator and really a few mm won't make much of a difference in the actual performance of the deck. Aside from the obvious lengthwise cut down the middle of course haha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 am 

Thanks for sharing, i have f-up one of my own projects so i know how this feels :cry: . I've toured on the f-board with no ill effects other than hurting my brain thinking about it.
I'm heading down south with some boards to have a guy rip them with a water jet. I'll bring an old rock board to give him a little practice.

P.S. $10 a board :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm 

So are you gonna have someone else install the hardware and complain about that too? DIY Learn somthin new and be proud of your OWN work

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:15 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
So are you gonna have someone else install the hardware and complain about that too? DIY Learn somthin new and be proud of your OWN work

Wow your post sounds a bit condescending and you're making wrong assumptions. That wasn't a complaint, but more a heads up for people who are opting to get their boards cut using a waterjet. This forum is for helping out others is it not?

In the end it gave me the opportunity to shave off 5mm of the width of the board which made it perfect for my boot size. YES, I shaved off that extra 5mm using a belt sander. I DID IT MYSELF... MIND BLOWN! /sarcasm*

FYI I was a ski/snowboard tech for 8 years, so I know my way around board construction and doing repairs. DIY split setup is cake walk, and I'm confident enough to say I will be proud of my own work.

Interwebs these days...

B-P, I definitely do take it as an honest mistake. We even joked around about it after the cut was made, and they ended up doing the cut on the house. I wouldn't even mind taking another board back to them again since I'm already familiar with their machine. As I said above, this was simply to give others a heads up who may be deciding to get their board cut using a waterjet and may not be so handy with evening out the cut afterwards(or aren't able to due to width of the board).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:11 am 

Quote:
So are you gonna have someone else install the hardware and complain about that too?
dude relax...