Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: adding taper, quiver killers, ICS, ?'s
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm 

On my second DIY splitter project.

Splitting a 2009 custom x 168

I want to add 2cm of Taper. Any words of wisdom? Getting it cut with a water jet and was planning on pressing between a couple of 2x4s to make the board flat, the using my laser level to make the line from the "taper points"(the points 1cm either side of the center line at the tails widest point) to the tip.

Also gonna use quiver killer inserts with 4 hole Voile pucks and the climbing gear as well. But I am a big guy, 6'2" 250 and am concerned about ripping out. Planning on bringing t nuts with in the BC in case of an emergency rip out so I could at least manage home. Your thoughts?

Also the board is an ICS board and I haven't seen much on the forum about cutting the channel and care after splitting.

Post subject: Re: adding taper, quiver killers, ICS, ?'s
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:05 am 

I'm a big dude myself and I've had good luck with qk's on the touring bracket and climbing heel, haven't tried pucks yet but plan too soon. Just make sure your board is thick enough under your touring bracket and pucks. 10mm-10.5mm's gives you enough without grinding inserts down (doesn't hurt to give them a small grind just in case though), obviously closer to tip and tail you'll lose some width so measure and grind as necessarily . All I can say about the inserts is get them in strait and try to mount ONCE! Have fun! Haven't messed with taper, haven't found a reason to...
JB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am 

Thanks JB. I figured that some one here would have done exactly what you have done thus far. QK's on the climbing gear... I pulled up one corner of a puck on my first splitter, which was held with the Voile wood screws that came with the DIY kit. I was actually able to refill with wood paste filler (can't think of technical name for it right now) and never had a problem again (or at least not a bail large enough to cause a problem). It did however make me nervous enough to start carrying a little extra hardware along on future trips. I assume that QK's are just as strong a a wood binding screw and that 8 per binding is gonna hold fine.

Some one mentioned not tapping the hole after you predrilled it, but simply pushing down hard when inserting the QK and this would provide more bite...that and also not to over tighten.

Hoping someone will chime in with some tips for adding taper and if there is any trouble shooting necessary to compensate for the curve at the tip and tail so when I put back together I'll have a nice seam.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 am 

I've heard people not tapping also.. I've installed a ton of these and have install as per quiver killer or binding freedom's directions and have had no failures. I mess around with not tapping and truly I think taping is cleaning and prevents any accidental stripping.

As for the burton ICS, cut right down the middle and fill flush with your favorite flexible epoxy. Should be bomber, and nice not having all the extra inserts/holes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:00 pm 

20mm is a shit ton of taper, especially for that board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:49 pm 

Whistlermav. Thx....what would you suggest? I was just using burtons specs for the malolo before they added the s rocker. I was assuming I would need the larger taper to get that same feel the cambered malolo had, the old fish had 30mm.