Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T Nuts vs T Bolts can't find any in UK
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:44 pm 

Snows fallen again in the Lake Districts hills in the UK :D there's a great club tow and touring terrain at the end of a hard hike, can take me 2 hours in my size9s, must be an easier way...

First step of my splitboard - my new ride arrived today a Head Intelligence AK 2010 model a steal at £50 ($75) with 2 weeks use, no I won't split this as it will ruin the hi-tech active stiffening. The way is now free to make a start on my old faithfull, a stiff 2001 foam core Airwalk A1 a Top10 board of it's time with leanings towards fast carves with a 8m+ turn radius on a 159cm maybe a bit skinny for true Pow but I'm only 67kg 148lbs...

I'm inspired by the poster on splitboard.com who used door hinges, so I'm going to DIY using ready available parts and only a drill and circle saw for powertools. It won't be beautiful but hopefully it'll be ready quicker than importing a Voile Split kit ... and a bit cheaper too

:oops: Stuck at first hurdle can't seem to get M6 T-Bolts anwhere in the UK, plenty of T-Nuts though...
Interested in hearing if other machine screws can be used eg. counter sunk, flat head, dome - either with allen, slot or posidrive heads, or would coach bolts that have flat plain heads with a short square section for grip be better. Or would T Nuts be OK with foam?

Post subject: Re: T Nuts vs T Bolts can't find any in UK
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:55 am 

Hi, my first splitboard was one of the diy door hinge ones. They work pretty well with the only issue really being that they do take alot longer to change back to board mode than a proper split.
I didnt use t-nuts for my one.
I think they were 6mm bolts which I put up from the base of the board with butterfly nuts on top to secure, countersunk holes on the base were filled then levelled off with resin.

These are pics of my friends one which mine is very similar to except I used hinges across the tips
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8104

Make sure to put washers or nuts under the hingeplates so they are raised off the board as this makes it easier to insert the pin.

Also, tape under your bindings so there arent any gaps for snow to pack into when you want to put it back into board mode.

Post subject: Re: T Nuts vs T Bolts can't find any in UK
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 am 

t nuts vs snowbaord inserts aren't really going to be your challenge, not compressing the foam core will be. I would chop up a bunch of fiberglass (about 1/8 inch long pieces, just chew some down with sharp scissors, then make a paste with the glass and resin before you put your t nuts it, maybe that will keep the tnuts from being pulled into the foam core (right away), and do not overtighten. Foam core DIYs are generally considered to be trouble and a no-go.