Sorry in advance for all the blurry pics. I need a new camera!!!
Lack of snow = lots of spare time on my hands and a pow board project in hopes of getting some pow!!! Looks like it worked all around as we are fixin to get the second storm session of the week tonight!!!
touring mode solved
That was the easiest part. Not many pics of the Salamon split. Actually, I don't have any. I guess I forgot to take those. I dremeled the edges, used a bimetal bit in a jigsaw for minimal kerf, and epoxied the center. Only needed to add the voile hooks and 1 tip clip. Lots of pics of the board interface though...
After waterjetting round disc's from 1/4" 6061, the milling process began.
I test fitted the thickness by taking off .005" at a time until the binding rotated with a little force when tightened to the board.
Next I figured out my stance angles keeping the notches in the appropriate location.
Cut the disc to allow overlapping of the board edges. No sense in making the binding do all the work!
Determining which part of the disc to overlap was crucial. Do it wrong and the board won't come apart for touring without taking off either the pucks or the voile hooks!!! Locking the binding in place also keeps the voile hooks from becoming sloppy. This interface is very tight and rigid. Far better than any system out there to date!!! Board flex and ride mode slop of the board skis is history.
Even the threaded center hole I used to turn these disc's on the lathe are still useful. When installing the half disc's on the split halves (when the split is put together in ride mode) the alignment and spacing is perfect by threading the bolt through the center hole then tightening the disc's to the board.
And it only comes in at 3 ounces heavier than my much shorter solid resort board!!! Not the lightest at 11lbs 9oz.