Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to build a splitboard WITHOUT a Voile splitkit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:01 am 

I thought I post this because it shows some vacuumbag stuff, and in case anybody ever needs to make a carbon part. Small parts are tricky to get right, but hopefully this will be good when it gets out of the vacuumbag.

Here's the two parts I made earlier with the Spark brass inserts to minimize wear. I glued a small carbon strip on it to get the angles right, and left the pin in. The "pin" is a rod from a kite, that was the only material I could get in the correct size here, I will make pins from aluminium with the help of a friend lathe later.

Cleaned and scuffed the binding and made some kerfs so it bonds better.

During layup, triax carbon folded under and over the binding and around the pin. Another layer will cover the top. You can see it goes up to the sides of the binding as well, so I can screw it to the sides with the screw that holds the strap normally. No extra screws planned, lightweight.

The pin stays in there during curing to keep it straight.

The vacuumbag still open on one side. You always want a much larger bag than the part or it will pull folds everywhere and twist the part.

Vacuumpump turned on. You can see the epoxy bleed into the cloth, the vacuum presses all the extra resin out to make it strong and light. I use a claening cloth for this (yellow) but you can also use toilet paper :lol:

The trick to vacuumbaggin is getting everything airtight. I used a suction pad from a satnav to fix the vacuum hose to the bag, you can buy special connectors for this but this works great. The pump turns on every half hour, my pump leaks a bit so I put a small valve in the hose to prevent the bag from losing vacuum.

Now I have to wait 8 hours and pray that the part turned out good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:13 am 

:clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Some great progress coming on!!

Where abouts are you in Europe?

George

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:20 am 

@George: I'm in the Netherlands...

Looks like like the plan worked, it's not the best looking thing in the world but I will put some eva foam over it anyway for damping.

I'm pretty sure it will be strong enough though, it doesn't bend or move at all.

The original Ride RX binding I started with weighed 824grams. Now it's down to 811grams including the new carbon toepiece and everything! So that's lighter than both Spark and Voile Lightrail.

The whole board should only be a little heavier than a solid board in fact, about 200 grams or less than half a pound including screws and everything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:56 pm 

It looks good from where I see it! In fact i don't understand why big companies don't make the whole base of the bindings out of carbon.

Did you put some layers under the base too? I see how this will secure the hole thing in place so no bolts needed. But if it's too thick under the binding then it won't spin on the pucks so well. Some stuff will actually be good there because the binding is a little loose in the toe area in riding mode!
Did you try it on the Spark bracket? everything stayed in line?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:39 am 

Yes layers under the base, but only under the metal tab you see sticking out. This is raised a few mm. from the deck of the board so there was enough space to put a few layers of carbon under it.

And yes everything stayed perfectly in line, I take my sweet @$$ time making stuff but when finished it does actually work....

A Mr. Chomp fits under the binding without issues too.

Only the pins left to make next week, and the last snow is melting as we speak.... :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 pm 

Looking good... The only thing that jumps out at me is if there is enough clearance in the toe of the bindings to pivot freely in touring mode. Seems like the boot might hit the board a bit early, causing a little toe mashing. But, that could just be the angle of the photo.

All in all, I like it... Nice and light, and should be pretty strong... Hope you get to ride it before the snow is all gone! Would be a drag to have to wait until next season..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:38 pm 

I could use some more feedback on that as I have no other splitboard to compare it with. This is my first splitboard so i'm guessing a lot of stuff.

How far would a factory splitbinding rotate in touring mode? I still have some room for adjustment in the binding, my heelcup is in the most forward position right now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:28 am 

Those pucks are just great, logical and simple. One thing I think you could have done differently is the touring pin setup. If you made the toepiece longer, then you would not get the toe of the boot touching the board.

To stop the rotation of the binding in ride mode, you could use a carbon fiber stop on one side of the binding and a Karakoram clip on the other to hold it in place.

Great work, I want to try it myself!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 pm 

Just got back from St. Anton riding the board again for 3 days. No problems again, rides just like a normal one in powder and on ice.

Also did a bit of touring on it, but we weren't comfortable with the avy conditions so had to turn back after a while. But at least I got to test the tour mode on a real mountain, and it was nearly perfect. Feels very solid and easy walking uphill.
I had to change to ride mode on a steep slope, so it was a bit tricky but it didn't take me that long. Still some room for improvement, but overall i'm pretty happy with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:20 pm 

this is amazing! great work man!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 am 

Sending a bump to hear any news?
This is by far the most interesting Voile replacement I've seen so far.
I am still thinking about how to re-use the 3D inserts and Burton bindings I have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 am 

I don't have a lot of news, it just works. It's a little more work to clean the snow and ice of than a voile set but you get a stiffer lighter board. I have no doubts about durability anymore, other than having to retighten the screws after a few tours.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 pm 

Time to resurrect this fun thread since we aren't getting any damn snow!!! After talking with Ivar over the past couple days, I have decided to build a DIY swallow split (eventually) using Ivar's puck design. Fist step though is to get an easier touring interface and what better way to do that than with parts I already have... Notch out some old ride bindings (the bonus to this design is that the only mod to the binding is the notches and ANY Binding will do, even those plastic ones!!! They also remain usable as resort bindings afterward.). Next was easily accomplished with an adaptor I made with round aluminum stock with a voile slider nut in the back and screwed the resort binding disc to get rid of those teeth and set puck height.

Why not take advantage of what skiers have over splitboarders in touring and extend that toe a bit!!! Nice long strides and toe bump during touring becomes a thing of the past.

Throw this thing in your pack for the ride down and enjoy the benefits of riding resort bindings in the backcountry...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next