Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long term viability of the cut edge?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:16 am 

I have about one season on my diy burton bmc and the metal edge broke after some minor collisions. Their were some minor scratches on the inside edge which was repaired with 'west syst' epoxy no problem. I just didn't ride it long enough to know about the cut edges longevity.

Heres my question, Who has the longest working diy split? and what are people experiences with inside edge delaminations?

I just got a Rossi experience and I'm think of sending it to get an inside edge installed. Or I'll just split it myself and get some chomps.

Post subject: Re: Long term viability of the cut edge?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:08 pm 

I've a DIY LibTech Joey McGuire 159 split, that I built the winter of '03-'04. I rode it exclusivly for 5 winters, when I bought a factory built deck. It still sees 6-10 days/season in the early and late months, or when a non split havin' buddy wants to tag along. The inside edge was sealed with epoxy and sanded 4 times. While the epoxy has chiped in a few spots, the inside edge is yet to delam. It has been a trusted stead, and far outlived my expectations of the DIY...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:02 pm 

How did the epoxy lay down for you? Were there gaps when the halves joined? I used six coats of spar varnish and it flattened out nice but obviously isn't as durable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:43 pm 

Set up good. Brushed it on, I had another 'poxy project going at the same time, so I didn't have to mix up and throw out a bunch each time. I did have to massage the hooks a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:52 am 

Good to hear that you've had such a good run with your board topher. The reality of skiing and boarding in flagstaff az is extended boney early season and early exposure in the spring. So i may never have a board that lasts that long.
I think i may have to go with epoxy for the next project. I would still like to hear from others about their experiences (especially failures) we learn the most from those.