Ok, I figure I've lurked enough and it's high time to contribute something useful. So here's my DIY Osin 4807 from last year. I just happened to have one of these laying around that I bought years ago and never really rode so I figured why not split it. Originally I planned on building a jig and using a small kerf blade on the table saw, but as I got started I quickly realized that I'd either need a second set of hands or a set of rollers to pull of the table saw cut (neither of which were in near proximity and the liquid courage had already been consumed) so I just swapped out the blade in the circular saw for a new one and used a surprisingly straight piece of lumber clamped to saw horses as a guide.
Yeah it was ghetto but it worked. I offset the centerline by 1/16th and then setup the guide so I ended up was as close to dead-center cut as I could get. The trickiest part of the cut on these boards is the shovel nose. I ended up finishing the nose with a crosscut saw and sanding everything flush. And now comes the first of a few mistakes, the most of which were a result of poor planning and using what was on hand rather than the right tool for the job. Mistake #1 I finished the inner edges with polyurethane rather than epoxy. Worked fine until my clumsy ass hit the two skis together playing in the yard and took out a chunk of wood. Unfortunately that mistake wasn't caught until it was all finished, but oh well.
Obligatory swiss cheese and hardware mounting photos:
I'm not sure why, but I ended up with a minor gap in the shovel nose when the nose clip is set. It doesn't show in the photos or impact ride quality so I haven't bothered to fix it. But I will say the nose clip on these is tricky. Now for mistake #2. For some assinine reason I thought 2 part 5 minute epoxy would be great for filling the t-nuts. Well unless you like epoxy flakes in your skin glue, that's a no-no. So after my first tour on it I bit the bullet and chipped out the bad epoxy and sanded the inner edge to prep for a proper epoxy job. I ended up using some flexible epoxy that I've got for finishing thread wraps on fly rods and that worked like a champ.
Finally I got tired of the tip stretchers getting knocked off due to my poor and clumsy technique so I threw on some STS tail strechers and G3 clips and so far they've done the trick.
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 pm Posts: 464 Location: Cottonwood, UT
Nice work. I had the same problem with the tip clip on my O-sin. The keel shaped nose is the culprit because if you drill into the board perpendicular to the surface, the tip clip pins will be angled toward each other when both halves are put together. I had to fix this because the tip would pop off every 30 ft of riding. At one point I had to duck tape the tip together on the hill as a quick fix.
To fix it, I clamped the boards together really tight, put the template stick on the board and used a center punch to mark where to drill. I punched slightly wider than the template because I wanted it a little tighter. Then I made sure I drilled in a way the pins on either ski half would be parallel. The tip has never popped off again.
dude that paint job is sick. thanks for the tip on the whale clip. i figured it was something along those lines but the only time i've had a problem was on some groomed slopes, otherwise it seems to hold. i also saw where someone kerfed their clip, heated and epoxied it so it followed the concave shape; but since i've got a spare i like the re-drilling idea better.
Nice work. Looks like the G3 tip clips work well on the swallow.
thanks man, and yeah i'm totally sold on the g3 clips