Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are K-clips worth the $50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 am 

I am happy with my 'k-clips', I wrapped the latch with some electrical tape and its super tight! I've had the old voile hooks and they do the job, but the 'k-clips' are pretty slick. It does alot for my confidence when my board fastens together with a bit of 'athoritay'!!! haha

im pumped for winter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm 

In replacing the hooks with K clips I did a little test. The K clips are noticeably stiffer and when riding down, snow slowing makes it's way out of the Voile side but not on the K clip side. Now I just need to find my 3/32 allen wrench to replace the hook.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:36 pm 

Properly placed Voile hooks outperform K clips every time. I have done empirical tests on this. Do not believe the hype.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 pm 

I don't see what the controversy is Barrows. They both work, quite well, in different ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:36 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
I don't see what the controversy is Barrows. They both work, quite well, in different ways.

Mike, there is no controversy. I have tested them vs each other. We put a split board on a bench and clamped half down to the bench, with the other half hanging over the edge. Then we applied weight to the unsupported half of the board and measured the deflection (quantifying how much the board flexed along the seam). The Voile hooks resulted in about half the deflection as the K clips allowed.
Note: we did this test on a Venture, with very high precision drilling of the Voile hook holes, on some boards, with poorly placed holes, K clips may be better. And for DIY, for those who may not be able to drill the holes precisely, K clips could be helpful. But my conclusion is that given good precision drilling of the holes, and tight bolts holding them in place (these need to be tightened occasionally for best performance) the Voile hooks offer a stiffer higher precision ride.
Looking at the design, it is pretty clear how the Voile hooks achieve this improved performance: They have a longer lever arm across the deck surface, and their L shaped profile gives the hooks themselves a high intrinsic stiffness.

If you want your split board to ride more like a solid board, Voile clips do offer an advantage as long as the holes are drilled precisely, and the fixing bolts are kept tight. Voile hooks are also a little lighter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:46 pm 

Quote:
If you want your split board to ride more like a solid board, Voile clips do offer an advantage as long as the holes are drilled precisely, and the fixing bolts are kept tight. Voile hooks are also a little lighter.

Yes, the guys at Venture do an amazing job at precision mounting of the voile clips, no argument there. But what about other brands? What about a used board that has seen a few tunes? Is there any adjustability in your Voile hooks? Nope.

The new K-clips are adjustable. Voiles are not. Maybe Voile will change that when they are forced to because everyone else is doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
Quote:

Yes, the guys at Venture do an amazing job at precision mounting of the voile clips, no argument there. But what about other brands? What about a used board that has seen a few tunes? Is there any adjustability in your Voile hooks? Nope.

The new K-clips are adjustable. Voiles are not. Maybe Voile will change that when they are forced to because everyone else is doing it.

Actually, the new Voile Hooks do have adjustability! They have an eccentric which allows them to be tightened. I have not tested these myself, so will not claim that they are "all that", but they do offer adjustability, and Keffler has been testing them on his new furberg to good effect so far.
But, I do agree, that the holes need to be precisely drilled for the Voiles to work best, maybe the adjustable ones fix this, but I have not used them, so cannot say for sure, yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 pm 

Like I said...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 pm 

While I generally think the K-ram stuff is mis-engineered fluff, I do have their clips on my Venture. Yep, on my Venture... :lol:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:08 pm 

We love Voile hooks. They hold to board with great strength and generally do a little better than the k clips in the boards we have built using both styles.

With that said, the Voile hooks wear out over time, eventually becoming loose and clunking if they are old enough. We usually recommend the k clips for when the Voile hooks wear out. Then it snugs the board right back together tight.

Of course if you have ridden a split for a long time, you also know that when you put the bindings on, even with loose clips, the board is just as tight as it ever was. So the clip argument is really splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things :) haha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:24 pm 

Chair2BoardSports wrote:
If you have ridden a split for a long time, you also know that when you put the bindings on, even with loose clips, the board is just as tight as it ever was. So the clip argument is really splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things

Unless you're this guy. . .

Check out 1:45 . . . Voile hooks sans binders.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:15 pm 

I have K-clips on my Venture Storm as well. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:34 am 

i like k clips cus they dont turn on you if they get hit during tour mode (my voiles would move, and id have to twist em back into place and de-ice a lot when clipping the board together).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next