Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting a split kit for the boyfriend, need help please.....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:06 pm 

I am getting a split kit for my boyfriend for xmas this year and just have a few basic questions for you all...

First off, he is a composites engineer so will have no problem with the construction, he has already made snowboards, surfboards, skimboards etc... and will have all the tools so don't need those kind of questions thrown at me regarding him being able to split the board. He completely makes up for my lack of knowledge about all of this but I don't want to ask him questions and clue him in. He rides big mountain and backcountry and is a pow nazi. We live in the Pac NW and love Baker, ALpental, and Hood.

Is Voile the only company that makes DIY split kits?
Is there a better option (I am willing to pay for the best of the best)?

I am planning on buying the kit and skins, is there a special binding that is required for splitboards as well?
Will the skins fit any board size? He is only 5'8" but rides a very long board for his size as he is a speed junkie (I want to say 166?)

What about the crampons and climbing heels? Are they needed or recommended?

Any other details that I should know before buying or other items I should include with the gift? I want it to be complete.

Are the split boards burly enough for hucking off cliffs and hard riding?

Any other thoughts comments concerns welcome. Thanks......

Post subject: Re: Getting a split kit for the boyfriend, need help please.....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:19 pm 

Voile makes the only DIY kit, but you can also mount the Karakorums to a DIY split and buy the small pieces you need.

The voile kit with the slider plates mounts to a standard binding, or you can buy Spark R&D's which slide right on to the voile interface ($299).

I would stick with just the DIY voile kit and sliders, and maybe give him a gift cert for the skins, as there are about 4-5 options for those, all with their pros/cons.

ps kudos for being such a rad gf :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:23 pm 

B-P wrote:

I would stick with just the DIY voile kit and sliders, and maybe give him a gift cert for the skins, as there are about 4-5 options for those, all with their pros/cons.
:

Do diff companies make the skins, or should I stick with a gift cert from Voile? Sorry Im clueless about all this....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:27 pm 

There are I think 4+ companies that make them, a gift certificate to Backcountry.com or a large online retailer would probably cover most options. Second Acsent in seattle also carries a bunch of different skins too as well as a few other stores. Maybe just make a card that says good for 1 pair of skins, and just let him choose what/where to get them?

We carry and sell Climbing Skins direct skins, which are a much cheaper alternative, but are not sold by most large retailers.

Sorry for the somewhat vague answers, there is a TON of options on the market these days :lol:

Edit: as I type this it also dawned on me that this site has a store that has most options for skins also :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:43 pm 

I'll take a stab at this since I just finished up my DIY with the Voile kit and the idea of what exactly is needed is still fresh in my mind.

My understanding is that Karakoram bindings come with a DIY mounting kit for their interface. So if money is no object and you want a "complete" system, the Karakoram bindings are another DIY option and might be the best bet. They cost $600 for the basic system and $800 for a superlight version. It is unclear to me whether you need to specify that you are ordering their system for a DIY and if splitboard clips needed for a DIY are included in the system. Might check with them, or maybe someone with that system can answer that question for you. There seems to be a LOT of discussion about whether this system is "the best of the best" but my completely uneducated and unfounded guess would be that a composites engineer would lean towards picking the highly-engineered Karakoram system if he had his choice.

If you go the Voile DIY kit route, the kit only comes with the interface. Special bindings are not included or needed, but your boyfriend can use his regular bindings (or more likely a spare set of bindings) and attach them to slider plates and the system works. You can get splitboard specific bindings for the DIY kit if you want; there are a few options out there, including Spark R&D and Voile Light-rail bindings.

So basically:

Karakoram = complete system including interface + bindings; highly engineered and more expensive.

Voile DIY kit= interface only; special splitboard specific bindings not necessary but if you want the best, get them. Cheaper, more simple but also far more tested in the field.

In addition to that, even if he is an engineer and has a lot of the tools, he probably will not have EVERYTHING needed for a DIY kit. There's all kinds of odds and ends that he may need to pick up, including but not limited to: high-quality epoxy, marine varnish, sandpaper, a forstner or wood paddle bit, the lists goes on. But frankly, if my girlfriend got me a DIY kit for Christmas I would not give a crap about picking up some stuff here and there, I'd be stoked. Part of the fun is the project. You probably can't go wrong with either a Voile DIY kit + Spark R&D bindings, or the Karakoram system.

I personally went with the Voile kit because money was a consideration, and I didn't want to spend close to $1000 for the Karakorams, skins + all the tools and crap I needed on a hobby that I wasn't sure I'd enjoy enough to justify it. If I had an unlimited budget and all the tools and build experience in the world, I probably would have gone with the Karakorams.

Skins: I got the G3 Alpinist skins designed for splitboards since someone here hooked me up with a great deal. Like the above poster mentioned, there are a lot of options. A gift certificate for $170 would totally work, but if you just want to get any kind of skins and be done with it, the G3 Splitboard Alpinist skins are easy to use and easy to trim. edit: just make sure you get the proper length for the board he is going to split.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:47 pm 

Get the Karakoram Split 30 w/ clips

http://www.splitboardbindings.com/store ... ct=4467697

With Crampons (shows out of stock, email them and they might be able to hook you up with a binding purchase)

http://www.splitboardbindings.com/store ... ct=3726384

and their DIY kit is $21.99

http://www.splitboardbindings.com/store ... ct=3294798

G3 split board skins are awesome, I am running this exact set up and it is the best thing out right now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:19 pm 

Why not drive him up to Seattle and drop in at the Karakoram factory and have him pick a set up there in person? You can buy their DIY kit, and maybe some misc hardware he may need at Tacoma screw or McMaster Carr. Trips with presents are always fun...? Maybe on your way to Baker this weekend! =) The Voile DIY kit keeps the expenses low $160 for the kit, $170 for skins, etc. Seems like you may be able to pick up a splitboard on CL locally to save on the effort of doing the whole DIY. Do you snowboard too? He must be talking about a splitboard nonstop for you to join the site? Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:20 pm 

If you can afford to do the Karakoram set up do it. It'll be bindings for ~$580 + Clips ($45) + DIY kit ($21) and that will include all the t-nuts and other hardware that you need to cut a board in half.

For the skins I would do what I did again and buy the Black Diamond Ascension STS skins but instead of the g3 tail clips I would get the Sparks tail clips. Another good way to do it would be to buy the CSD skins from Chair 2 boardsports (I'll plug them since Brendon isn't doing it himself) and still get the Sparks tail clips. Either way, get the 140mm width skins. They come in a 200cm length so it should be long enough to cover whatever board he has.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:50 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
If you can afford to do the Karakoram set up do it. It'll be bindings for ~$580 + Clips ($45) + DIY kit ($21) and that will include all the t-nuts and other hardware that you need to cut a board in half.

From Karakoram, you can buy the Split30 bindings with board clips (latches) for $599 + DIY kit of $21, so that will save you $25 from buying from their retailers...sounds like the $21 DIY kit includes the tip and tail clips too.
http://www.splitboardbindings.com/store ... ct=4467697

I found a picture of the kit you would need DIY for mounting the board clips (latches)
http://www.evo.com/splitboard-hardware/ ... ntain.aspx