Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summary of mounting techniques for Verts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:31 pm 

After seeing JimW's mounting technique with the original burton splitboard system shown here and the Spark Verts mountins it got me thinking about the Burton Quick Disc system. It appears that the 4x4 bolt pattern is not far back enough for my size 11 boot, also looking at the earlier work of JimW, you can see that the center of his mounts are lower than the 4x4 pattern.

I tried this today as having my Verts work in conjunction with my splitboard and solid board would be cool, though heavy.
ImageImage

I also added a plastic clip to keep the lose end from loosening up the buckle
I thought about adding a whistle buckle that I saw at REI, but tiltedworld suggested that I put it on my backpack strap.

Also, I mentioned in the Spark Vert's thread that I wanted to figure out a mounting system for the Karakoram bindings. This is some preliminary work I did with the ride modes, they are way too far forward with the factory Verts holes, but I think a soild mount or a smaller system would be better than the ride modes anyway.

Although most of this work is now somewhat mute with installing the Karakoram bindings, however it would not be that hard to swap either mount depending on what I am doing, and I wanted to pass on the info for others. A little side country on a resort day with Verts can be pretty fun while on a solid board. Part of me wants to just keep it simple with the Yellow/black straps so I can go either way. JimW mentioned that although the weight was off his back, he preferred the yellow straps because it gave him more control over his Verts in precarious positions rather than being so rigid with snowboard bindings.

Post subject: Re: Summary of mounting techniques for Verts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:23 am 

The opportunity you have here is that the mounting points can be spread out over the entire width of the vert. Ie...You don't have to worry about using the standard splitboard mounting holes and saving a little cash on spare Karakoram plates. Imagine using pieces fashioned of just the active engagement parts.

Post subject: Re: Summary of mounting techniques for Verts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:34 pm 

rughty wrote:
Imagine using pieces fashioned of just the active engagement parts.

Exactly what I'm working on. I need to set them back a little too. :clap: