Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karakorum nose and tail clip swap
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:32 pm 

Quick question- has anyone swapped out their nose and tail clips with the Karakorum zytels? I'm wondering how to get the old ones off and the new ones on. I haven't received them yet but ordered them with the K-clips.

Thanks for any info on this.

Post subject: Re: Karakorum nose and tail clip swap
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 pm 

The easiest way to remove rivets is to drill them out. Use the smallest bit you can get away with and go slow.

I decided to use small bolts and nyloc nuts instead of rivets because it seemed like a better option.

I just finished my first split though, so take that for whatever it's worth. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:24 pm 

Would you post a pic or list the hardware that you used?
What is this kit?
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... 230147/N/0
http://www.evo.com/splitboard-hardware/ ... ntain.aspx

Seems like more for the latches

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:40 am 

@benlee

thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:38 am 

You can also try using a dremel and cutting disk to cut the none clip side and just push it through from top to bottom. If your old voile clips are going bad you can do the same with those, likely you'll trash the clip though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:53 pm 

so my clips and clamps came in last night along with my new sparks toe strap- thanks Will! awesome service man!

set up was easy and i had the clamps installed pretty fast. for the nose and tail clip it wasn't too bad. i took benlee's advice and drilled out the old studs. i had to wrestle one out with some pliers but the rest fell right through.

the directions for installing the zytel clips said to use a ball pein hammer or a phillips head to get the stud to lock into the board. it seemed like the hammer was the way to go if i really wanted it to stay in there. i put clips on and laid each board upside down on a big old iron vice on the stud head and whacked each one a bunch of times with the ball pein. two of the clips were still lose so smashed them some more until they seemed fairly tight in the hole. overall it came out relatively well. one of the studs got bent and cut into the zytel clip when i closed it all the way. i trimmed it down with my hunting knife and it seems pretty tight now. the other clip closes as it should although it is not as tight as the one i fucked up.

as for the clamps i have to say they really got the board halves to closer together and that big gap i had in there with original clips is down to just a sliver except for between the binders where it is still really noticeable. someone mentioned in another post that the inside magnatraction is what causes that gap. anyway, one clamp opens and closes nicely but other is downright painful to work. hopefully after some useage it will loosen up a bit. the board definitely feels more solid.

one of the weird things i noticed with the original nose and tail clips was that after you closed them all the way they would actually separate the board halves further apart at about what seemed to be a couple/few mm's or so. the zytel clip that works as it should does this also but it is so minimal it is hardly noticeable. maybe that's something for the manufacturers of these clips to look at.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:04 am 

I have a question.

with the board split, do the k-clips rattle around loose and in the way when touring or or they held tight and quiet?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:56 pm 

splitchank wrote:
I have a question.

with the board split, do the k-clips rattle around loose and in the way when touring or or they held tight and quiet?

from what i can tell from 'touring' around my back yard today they are totally quiet when in stride but can rattle a very little bit when cross stepping or otherwise jogging them about. nothing annoying in any way, shape or form, for me. i keep my outside edges on the inside when touring so there's no issue with any hang-ups in that respect.