Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: DIY done!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 14
@ emmons.will- No full wrap metal edges on my deck. But, I did help 2 of my friends with their cuts and both their boards had full wrap metal edges. We started the cut an inch or so inside the nose edge and stopped an inch or so from the tail edge and used a hacksaw on the edges. I don't know if that's the best way to go, but it worked out alright.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY done!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 am
Posts: 145
I put a masonry wheel in my chopsaw to cut edges. Be carefull not to overheat the edge. A little at a time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY done!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 14
Little update...

I've had the split out a handful of times now in different conditions ranging from waist deep to bulletproof. I have been very impressed with my set-up. The board has been solid in all conditions (obviously much more fun in powder, and not just because it's a 167 wide with a 4" setback stance... or maybe that is why :lol: ) The float in pow is great, and I was surprised at how well it handled the cement we rode last trip out (not nearly as much flex as I expected). I will get some sparks or something probably at some point, but I really can't complain about my SPIs stacked on the voile plates. Yes, it's a little higher than the co2s on my solid board, but it's not that big of a difference. Or, at least it doesn't feel like that big of a difference.

The only big difference that stands out, and something sparks/karakorams/rughtys and a shorter deck would help, is she's pretty heavy. It's probably more noticeable because I ride a Ride Slackcountry UL with co2s as my solid, which is the lightest setup I've ever had. But still, the split is not light. :lol:

Also, I would definitely recommend the G3 skins, the BD Compactor poles, and the BCA Stash BC pack. I haven't slipped yet with the G3s and the tip/tail clips are great, haven't had any problems with the compactors (although, I wouldn't say they are necessarily better than the expeditions, just different), and the BCA has more than enough space for a day, and a truly freeze-proof (so far...) hydration system.

Again, thanks for all the motivation, inspiration, suggestions, information and help to everybody on here. I'm done rambling now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY done!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 14
Wanted to post an update. With an Arbor Abacus factory split, or an Arbor Element DIY split coming into the quiver for next year, I decided to experiment with a swallowtail.

Let me know what you guys think.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group