Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY done!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 am 

Started with a GNU carbon high beam 167

Finished with new paint (topsheet was all jacked up) and old Ride SPIs with Burton straps

Turned out pretty good. Can't wait to go ride. So happy to be done snowshoeing. Thanks for all the inspiration and information. This forum was a great resource.

Post subject: Re: DIY done!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:26 pm 

Looks awesome man! You look like you're just ahead of the game from where I am - working on my first split too and very much ready to be off of snowshoes.

Did you practice on a throwaway board first? If so, any tips/problems on transitioning to the real deal? I've made my practice board look like swiss cheese and I finally feel like I'm ready to work on the real deal and have it come out great. Still a bit paranoid though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:31 pm 

I love the DIY forum and all the threads within. Nice work dude, happy splitting!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:47 pm 

Nice! Looks great! Have fun out there :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:44 pm 

Mushi- I didn't practice on anything. However, I did watch the voile videos roughly 250 thousand times and measured about 100 times for each step :lol:

Realistically, I guess you could say this board was a practice board of sorts. I had all the tools, I picked the deck up at Next Adventure in PDX for $50 and I got the voile kit for cheap, so if I had messed it up I wasn't out much.

But it was actually pretty simple, the Voile directions are very easy to follow and paired with the John Horn videos, it's a relatively simple project. There a probably a few things I will do differently on my next split (like using a drill press instead of a hand drill, a forstner bit instead of a paddle bit, and making sure the holes for the chinese hooks are perfect and trying the karakoram clips, to name a few)

But, that being said, I am very happy with how it came out and can't wait to lay down that first slash.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:04 pm 

Looks like a production split from here! I like using a plunge router instead of a forstner bit. The depth comes out perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:25 pm 

Hey, cool. I'm also from Portland. Might have some handy info: If you want to use a drill press for your next split but don't want to buy one, check out the various Portland Tool Libraries. I'm in Sellwood and borrowed a bunch of stuff for a week to work on my DIY. I borrowed a drill press from someone at work, but at the SE library they had several drill presses. Also a table saw if you want to split your board that way. I borrowed a circular saw for the practice board, and the old, terrible blade produced a terrible cut, so you might need to buy a new blade if you go that route.

Speaking of which, that terrible cut led me to looking at places to get a board split via waterjet. I haven't done it yet so I can't report on the service, but I will report when my DIY is totally done. Place in Hillsboro estimated between $50-80.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 pm 

I used a circular saw with a carbide tipped blade and I would do it the same next time. I used manufactured wood to create a guide and I couldn't be happier with the cut.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:40 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:23 am 

Rode for the first time yesterday. So glad I'm done with snowshoes. Stoke level has reached an all time high!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:38 pm 

benlee wrote:
Rode for the first time yesterday. So glad I'm done with snowshoes. Stoke level has reached an all time high!

Yeah Dude!!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of splitboarding!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:55 pm 

I like how you filled the old insert holes and repainted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:25 pm 

Looks Sick! Did this board have full metal wrap edges? I know most mervin boards don't, but I am looking to split a board that does, and was looking for tips for cutting through the edge cleanly.