Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centering the forstner bit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:24 pm 

I split my old 1996 Burton A-deck from when I was in middle school as a tune up to installing the hardware on the board I actually intend to use in the backcountry, and I was running into a problem the the t-nut install.

I used a drill press to make the holes for the pucks and touring brackets/heels, and used a forstner bit on the base for the t-nut to sit in. Great tip by the way, that bit makes a very clean cut.

I ran into a problem in that I could not quite center the forstner bit precisely in the center of the hole for the threads. I did my best to eyeball it but on some of them I was far enough off-center that one edge of the t-nut would not sink in to be flush with the base of the board.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on centering the forstner bit exactly in the middle by a jig or some other way. I tried placing the 19/64 drill bit into the press, making sure it slid into the drilled out hole, then replacing it with the forstner bit without moving any other parts, but there was enough flex in the 19/64th bit to fit into the hole, even if the press was actually off-center a bit.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Centering the forstner bit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:08 pm 

Drill your pilot holes though the top sheet with something much, much smaller in diameter than a 19/64s bit (3/64s perhaps), flip the board over and use the Forstner to countersink the base, flip the board back over again and use your 19/64s or whatever and drill out for the barrel of the t-nut. Nice, straight holes, minimized chipping of the top sheet. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:05 pm 

Great idea! I hadn't thought of that - I didn't use pilot holes because I had the drill press, and I was definitely hesitant to put the stickers on the bottom of the board to do the forstner hole first.

Thanks for the tip and the quick response.

edit: I went back and drilled a few holes with this method. The only thing I'll add is that instead of flipping the board over after using the forstner bit to drill the 19/64 holes, I simple drilled them from the bottom without moving anything. Perfectly centered, and I didn't have any trouble with the topsheet either.

So the order was: 1) pilot hole from the top, flip the board, 2) forstner bit from the bottom, 3) replace forstner bit with 19/64th bit without moving anything. Works perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:27 am 

Word, I just did the same - 1/16" pilot and drilled the bottom on my drill press, the point on the forstner bit centers it self. Just don't forget to drill the countersink before finishing with 19/64 like I did on two of them. That required some stunt drilling, (damn hippie medicine) :mrgreen: