Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spliting a board with screw holes in the centerline
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:50 pm 

I am sure this has been discussed many times but I can not find a discussion using the search tool. I found an older Morrow snowboard at the Goodwill for $13 today and thought it might be a good one to split. However, it has the old Burton style screw pattern and two nuts directly in the center line of the board. Obviously, if I split this board I will have to deal with these. Is this no big deal or shall I just find another board? And yes I know it’s September and you all are out at the river and not thinking of snow right now.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Spliting a board with screw holes in the centerline
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:13 am 

Hey man, first off, I'm only thinking about how it should be dumping right. Second, I have split two burton boards with that stupid the hole pattern. Honestly, I'd say keep looking for the normal straight pattern. Besides, you will still want a good board when your actually riding down the hill, unless a 13$ board was a wicked score and out still has some life left in its base.

So if your still game to try it anyways heres the deal, when you map out your center line and you are ready to cut, use a metal grinding wheel the same thickness as your skill saw blade. The same thickness will reduce the obscene amount of time you'd have to spend sanding. Cut about the length of your foot using the metal grinder and use it to cut through the tip and tail to get through the wrap around edge, no more than a half inch. Now finish the cut with the wood skill saw. Now they may pop out but if they stay in secure then just fill them in with the epoxy you use for your t nuts on the base. Then sand and apply a few costs of poly to seal the newly exposed edge.

I've got even more tricks that I could only learn from doing this now three times, so please ask. I'm gonna try to attach a picture of my center nuts, happy cutting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:14 am 

Ha ha, center nuts. I couldn't do the picture on my droid but if you want I'll email it to you of you want. Just pm me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:23 am 

If its your first board to cut id find one with a standard insert pattern. And its pointless splitting a beat up board unless its just to practice cutting. There are alot of posts on how to cut the inserts, some just go strait through with carbide tip blade, others drill out the insert, a grinder obviously works^^^ good luck, it will be much easier with a different board!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:00 pm 

Thanks guys. I have a bit of time so maybe I will keep my eyes open for another board. Plus a neighbor said many of the Marrow boards have a foam core that might give me trouble as well.

BTW this will be my first split...is everyone pretty much using the Voile kit or are there other kits on the market? Or homemade options?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 pm 

Dude come on don't kill yourself. Get a good board and split it. The 3d pattern, is super easy to find the center of, thus making it simpler to cut it, and with a worm drive saw it's not a big deal. Use a fresh blade and it will be effortless. Get another board though please. A Burton would be fine, just something else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 am 

not done my homework on the board and its core foam or timber , but to cut the inserts through just use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade that will do the board end to end, setup a precision straightedge end to end and take your time it shud do it fine, for $13 you have nothing to loose even as a practise to test your cutting skills eh! Trust me I know this first hand its worth a practise on a dunga.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:42 pm 

grinding wheel will heat up the inserts, potentially burn some of the wood, and deform the ptex base near the inserts

Three words for cutting boards with 3D inserts:

Morse
Metal
Devil

Trust me on this. I've cut 3 DIYs with inserts with this blade, and it's tough to beat.