Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Factory inserts instead of t-nuts in DIY split
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:37 pm 

Monk151 wrote:
tnutting from the top

I think it's a great idea. Looks sweet! Don't mess with the base if you don't have too. I've racked my brain with this issue... but the problems are that now you've cut out a sizeable length of core where you experience a great deal of stress (underfoot). And the tnuts are only as strong as the adhesive used to reinstall the block.... unless you secure them with some type of screw/fastener to the remainder of the board. Which could still possibly pull out. But if it holds up - that's awesome!

I defintly question the strength when doing it from the top. If for whatever reason the epoxy didn't make a good joint with the core, the entire thing will rip out. The whole Idea of going from the bottom is the core and top sheet give you strength. Especially if you're adding an epoxy layer in between the t-nut and the exposed core.

Post subject: Re: Factory inserts instead of t-nuts in DIY split
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:49 pm 

chase_e wrote:
Monk151 wrote:
tnutting from the top

I think it's a great idea. Looks sweet! Don't mess with the base if you don't have too. I've racked my brain with this issue... but the problems are that now you've cut out a sizeable length of core where you experience a great deal of stress (underfoot). And the tnuts are only as strong as the adhesive used to reinstall the block.... unless you secure them with some type of screw/fastener to the remainder of the board. Which could still possibly pull out. But if it holds up - that's awesome!

I defintly question the strength when doing it from the top. If for whatever reason the epoxy didn't make a good joint with the core, the entire thing will rip out. The whole Idea of going from the bottom is the core and top sheet give you strength. Especially if you're adding an epoxy layer in between the t-nut and the exposed core.

Yeah "I defintly question the strength when doing it from the top" but if you never try you will never know. I thnk the problem will be the board snapping and not the inserts block ripping out.

update 10/29
Pretty impressed with it so far, i will be using this method again. Rode mostly hard pack and ice and nothing has broken.