Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Burton S Series and Karakoram
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:16 am 

Does anyone know how Karakoram bindings will fit on the old style Burton S Series Board? Will it require any mods/holes to allow for a reasonable amount of adjustment in the binding plates once the old Burton hardware is removed? I guess the bigger question is if the old burton board has the same hole pattern as all current boards (Voile patent). I know that the touring bracket will likely need some of Firstlight's MONEY conversion plates because it is the same hole pattern as Voile hardware, but i am wondering if that is the only part that will need any mod?? Could you use the original riser from Burton with the Karakoram binding? How well does it line up with the base?

Not sure if anyone has even tried this setup, but i have been put in charge of getting my buddies old Burton ripping the way it should and i am looking at the various options and prices.

Karakoram 579$ (without clips. Original Burton Chinese hooks are not bad!)
First light touring conversion plates 65$

Spark Blaze 299$
Voile conversion kit 160$
First light touring conversion plates 65$

Post subject: Re: Old Burton S Series and Karakoram
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 pm 

My recommendation is a little biased so take it for what its worth to you ok. I have supplied several customers with Spark Blaze bindings this year and I have my own pair plus some demo sets too. What I like about the Spark gear is as follows.....oh yeah I am about to order 12 more full sets of all Spark gear for NZ customers for 2011 !!!!!!

Spark uses Voile pucks which are tough, long proven, allow for wide range of stances, and most importantly do not wear badly so the interface between binding and puck is firm and also the load is spread over a very wide surface area not just a few contact points.

Spark system is dead simple, no fiddly stuff , simple and reliable. What is more important?

Spark R&D have sold hundreds and hundreds of pairs so far, so plenty of real life testing over evolutions of their product.

Spark system is very light and improves the ride and climb over the older Voile system massively.

Low ride height over the old Voile system

So when you compare this with anything else have a think about the above points and make sure it matches up. Not sure about the Burton adapters sorry not had to deal with that yet. And I have not seen the Karakoram setup in the flesh so this is just from my own observations/opinions .

cheers
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:47 am 

I was skeptical about the Karakorums too. But I have seen them up close and Keffler rocked them all year without issue (a lot of big days!). I think they are pretty freakin cool now!

About the price? That's a lot of cash, and A LOT OF YOUR TIME AND ENERGY!

If your buddy is new to splitting, he needs to worry less about his gear and more about his legs, lungs and avy skills. People seem to get real caught up in the nuts and bolts of splitboarding, but that is not what its all about. I would recommend getting him going as fast and cheap as possible, them see it he likes it and is willing and able.

That being said, I love my Sparks! I love Will and the Spark crew! I will be getting Spark LT's and Spark tail clips for next years board. And I build all my splitboards and splitboards for my partners! Keep it cheap keep it simple and go often. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:27 pm 

maybe you can email Karakoram and ask them your question, and report back here with your answer. I used to have a Burton S split, so I am curious as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:38 pm 

Guys
I asked asked Bryce last year and they can't do the Old Burton insert layout :cry:

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:51 am 

If you're dropping the dime on the Karakoram, I would seriously consider getting another board.

With a high performance binding such as the K's, you're going to want a board that will perform at a similar level. The s-series ain't it in my opinion :twocents: :doobie: